State Legislature passes Auburn Sunday 'brunch bill'

Currently, alcohol cannot legally be sold on Sundays before noon

Sunday brunches in Auburn could soon start a little earlier.

On Thursday, the Alabama Legislature passed House Bill 444, sponsored by Rep. Joe Lovvorn, R-Auburn, which would allow the Auburn City Council to vote on an ordinance legalizing the sale of alcohol at restaurants and hotels on Sundays starting at 10 a.m.

Currently, alcohol cannot legally be sold on Sundays before noon. The ordinance would not affect the sale of alcohol in stores.

"We are fortunate to live in a thriving community, and the time change for on-premise sales should be a positive for our hotels and restaurants," Lovvorn said. "We welcome a large number of visitors each year, and the increase in revenue should help businesses and the City of Auburn."

The change was prompted by business owners and the Auburn-Opelika Tourism Bureau in an effort to attract more morning customers.

"I've been to local restaurants in town with people standing in line waiting for noon in order to participate in a cocktail," said Mayor Bill Ham. "As far as a positive impact for generation of sales tax or more conferences [held in Auburn], I can't imagine how the numbers can't be better."

Auburn would be the only city nearby to allow morning drinks to be served. The Opelika City Council heard a similar ordinance in January but rejected it. Alcohol can't be sold in Columbus, Georgia, restaurants on Sundays until 12:30 p.m.

The mayor said he has not heard any negative feedback from Auburn residents about the potential change.

"I was happy to help Rep. Lovvorn in the Senate with this bill," said Auburn Republican Sen. Tom Whatley. "The tourism bureau says this bill will have a positive economic impact on the area."

If Gov. Kay Ivey enacts the legislation, the City Council could vote on the ordinance as soon as April 3, according to the mayor. If passed by the council, at that meeting or a future one, it would take effect the following Sunday.

The council passed a request to the Legislature for the act in January, with Council Members Tommy Dawson, Gene Dulaney and Verlinda White voting in opposition.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “State Legislature passes Auburn Sunday 'brunch bill' ” on social media.