Students celebrate 70th anniversary of Berlin Airlift

It was standing room only on Wednesday as students and faculty waited to hear about how some World War II forces helped restore a city that it had decimated just years before.

Paul Harris, professor of political science and associate director of Prestigious National Scholarships, was invited by the German Honor’s Society and the department of foreign language to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift.

Harris has spent over two decades teaching in both Germany and the United States on comparative politics to form the presentation, “To Save a City: General Lucius Clay and the Berlin Airlift,” which he has given on multiple occasions.

“The Berlin Airlift is one of the most significant feats of American and allied humanitarianism, which saved the city of more than 2.5 million people,” Harris said.

After the conclusion of World War II, the Soviet Union blocked railroad access into West Berlin in the summer of 1948, which resulted in a bold response from the United States and other allied forces.

“As someone who enjoys history, especially history surrounding World War II, I thoroughly enjoyed this event,” said Lori Garrison, sophomore in biomedical sciences.

American and allied forces spent over a year continuously sending planes to the landlocked area with fuel, food and supplies.

“What stuck out to me about this bold move was the determination through adversity displayed by the U.S. and UK,” Garrison said. “One word kept coming to me — adversity.”

The harsh conditions for the majority of the people of Berlin gave Garrison a perspective on the hardship that the victims went through in comparison with obstacles in her own life. She said it provided her new optimism for the last stretch of the semester as well.

Harris gave multiple accounts of individuals who were integral parts in the humanitarian efforts, including Gen. Lucius Clay and Gen. Curtis LeMay.

“There is the political background, and then there is the airlift itself,” Harris said. “The two cannot be separated.”

Harris specifically pointed out that Clay had Auburn ties because he taught ROTC for one year before being deployed.

Harris was thrilled with the turnout and loved that many of those in attendance were from the foreign language department. He was able to exchange with the German speakers before and after the event.

Share and discuss “Students celebrate 70th anniversary of Berlin Airlift ” on social media.