Standard Deluxe to host 18 Annual Waverly Boogie

The ground Out in the Yard at Standard Deluxe anxiously awaits the hum of the guitar, the thrill of laughter, and the bare feet dancing on its dirt. 

Warm sun, a cool breeze, and the reverberations of soulful and sultry music pervade the air each year at the Boogie.

This is the Boogie’s 18th year, and natives of Alabama and Georgia anticipate the Boogie’s return, along with the friendships and good vibes it brings.

Standard Deluxe, self-described as the little red dot on the map in the middle of a 100 person town, hosts dozens of concerts each year.  The locals know this place for it’s simplicity and it’s ability to showcase some of the greatest up and coming artists in the southeast, and in the U.S.

Artists to be featured on Saturday are Shinyribs, Rev. Sekou, Revel in Dimes, Chris Stalcup & The Grange, the Pine Hill Haints, and Marshall Ruffin.

Relaxing Out in the Yard, jamming to southern music, and greeting old friends and making new ones is this event’s idea of a good time.  

The Yard welcomes guests of all ages, and organizers encourage guests to bring lawn chairs and small coolers to the yard.  

Located at 1015 Mayberry Ave. in Waverly, Alabama, Standard Deluxe was named one of Southern Living Magazines’ Top 15 venues for Live Music in Alabama.

Music begins on April 21 at noon, and guests will be shaking and grooving until well after the sun goes down behind the house. 

Each of the featured artists has their own rare twist on music, and the diverse sounds that will ring in the air on Saturday simply cannot be missed.

Shinyribs, self-described as the Shakespeare of Swamp Pop, is an eight member band that hails from the lone-star state.  Frontman Kevin Russell leads the project, which is the latest of his musical endeavors.  The band has roots in Beaumont, Texas, Shreveport, Lousiana. “A shinyribs show is an exaltation of spirit,” boasts the bands website. “It’s a hip-shaking, belly laughing, soul-singing, song-slinging, down-home house party.”

Rev Sekou blends gospel, soul, and southern rock like no other. With less than 200 followers on Spotify, this musician, writer, and theologian is an up-and-coming soulful sensation like no other.

Revel in Dimes, a four-piece blues and rock’n’roll band from New York says that they know exactly where they come from, but refuse to let that define and restrain them. Their southern blend of music will entice and hypnotize listeners who come close enough to experience the good vibrations put forth by their instruments.

Chris Stalcup & The Grange are a country-rock group from Georgia who take pride in their southern heritage and exude southern charm.  These guys will have listeners feeling at home no matter where they will be. 

“Stalcup’s name should be included in the new breed of artists including Isbell, Simpson and Stapleton who are marrying tradition and truth,” said Eric Risch of Pop Matters.  

Standard Deluxe is hosting the event in partnership with Goodwyn Mills Caywood of Montgomery. 

Tickets are $30 a piece at the gate or can be bought online now.

Share and discuss “Standard Deluxe to host 18 Annual Waverly Boogie ” on social media.