College of Liberal Arts introduces neuroscience major

“It’s housed in the College of Liberal Arts because all the neuroscience courses are in psychology,” said Jeffrey Katz.

Beginning in fall 2018, the College of Liberal Arts will offer a new degree in neuroscience.

The neuroscience curriculum is comprised of classes that fulfill medical school prerequisites and several psychology courses.

“It’s housed in the College of Liberal Arts because all the neuroscience courses are in psychology,” said Jeffrey Katz, neuroscience coordinator. 

At universities around the world, neuroscience courses are not always exclusively in psychology. Katz said that most universities’ neuroscience degrees have in common is the overlap in the pre-med curriculum. 

Apart from that, a neuroscience student’s classes at any university are generally contingent on that university’s faculty.

“What makes [the program] unique comes down to the researchers you have on campus and what they do,” Katz said.

Many faculty within Auburn’s neuroscience area are involved in neuro-imaging. Katz said this means Auburn neuroscience students will have the opportunity to do neuro-imaging with humans and even animals. 

The neuroscience curriculum includes nine elective hours. Katz said the idea behind the elective hours is that students use them for research. 

“There’s over 50 faculty doing neuroscience research on this campus,” Katz said. “And they’re not all in the psychology department. They’re all over in different departments.”

Course options that satisfy the elective requirement also include courses outside of psychology including classes in kinesiology, advanced biochemistry, anatomy and other classes more specific to neuroscience.

“I’m hoping this list grows and evolves over time,” Katz said.

Before the first Camp War Eagle session, 8 people were enrolled in the neuroscience program. Katz said would not be surprised if the number grew to about 100 within the next few years. 

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is the only other university in Alabama that offers a degree in neuroscience. Katz hopes the addition of the neuroscience program will encourage people to come to Auburn who were not previously considering it.

Katz said the neuroscience program’s interdisciplinary approach has appeal for a large number of people, especially anyone seeking a career in healthcare or law.

“I think when you’re done with this major,” Katz said. “What you’ll get is an excellent background in experimental method and science and how it relates to the brain.”

Share and discuss “College of Liberal Arts introduces neuroscience major” on social media.