Delta partners with Auburn to give students quick path to becoming pilots

“Delta has already invested in Auburn financially, so now to be able to have this program in place, so that they can see the fruits of what they’re doing for us is just truly beneficial,” said Bill Hutto, acting chair of the department of aviation.

<p>The COVID-19 outbreak has seen many University operations altered in response.</p>

The COVID-19 outbreak has seen many University operations altered in response.

Auburn students could be professionally flying for Delta Air Lines in 42 months or less.

On Tuesday, Delta announced that Auburn University will be a part of the launch of the Delta Propel Pilot Career Path Program. The program will initially partner with aviation departments at eight universities to develop future Delta pilots.

“Delta has already invested in Auburn financially, so now to be able to have this program in place, so that they can see the fruits of what they’re doing for us is just truly beneficial,” said Bill Hutto, acting chair of the department of aviation. “And we’re very excited for our students too because they now can see a whole new way of how to get from A to B.”

Beginning August 2018, Delta will interview applicants from the aviation department. Those who are selected will be provided a qualified job offer, detailing a defined and accelerated path to becoming a pilot.

“Auburn students are consistently recruited because of their professionalism and the preparation they receive inside and outside the classroom,” said Auburn University President Steven Leath. “We’re happy to be selected by Delta once again as a partnership university. Delta’s continued support reflects the company’s confidence in an Auburn education.”

Delta plans to add seven other universities as partners to the program. The initial launch will include partnerships with:

• Auburn University
  • Embry –Riddle Aeronautical University – Daytona Beach
  • Embry - Riddle Aeronautical University – Prescott
  • Middle Georgia State University
  • Middle Tennessee State University
  • Minnesota State university –Mankato
  • University of North Dakota
  • Western Michigan University

“Delta selected us and the other universities based on what we’re already doing,” Hutto said. “They recognized the quality education that our students are getting.”

There will be no additional courses or changes to the curriculum for students in the program, Hutto said.

In fall 2017, Delta, alongside other organizations, donated $6.2 million to support multiple programs at Auburn.

“We are pleased and proud to be one of Delta’s initial partners in the Propel Program,” said College of Liberal Arts Dean Joseph Aistrup. “Our students will have the distinct honor of being selected to participate in this program, which in turn will ensure that they have careers with a company that is a global leader in aviation.”

Catherine Simmons, spokeswoman for Delta corporate communications, said the program is the first of its kind to offer students three distinct career routes.

The three different paths within the program will be flying for Delta private jets and instructing a partner collegiate institution, flying for one of the Delta Connection Carriers and flying military aircraft for the Air National Guard or Reserves.

“At the end of the day, the students will benefit by having a direct path to Delta Airlines in really a short time,” Hutto said.

Those who are selected will also be immersed in the Delta culture. Student will be paired with a Delta pilot as a mentor for the duration of their training and career.

“So, what they’re trying to do is make it easier and identify our top students early on, provide mentors for them and then get them a direct path to Delta Airlines,” Hutto said.

The program has three main areas of focus: company, college and community.

“This three-pronged approach will help Delta support future aviators as well as current Delta employees who have a passion for aviation and strong interest in becoming a Delta pilot,” Simmons said.

Delta expects to hire over 8,000 pilots over the next decade to staff daily flights across the world as current pilots approach the mandatory retirement age.

“It’s all about students and preparing them to be leaders in the industry, and this just gives us another opportunity to be able to do that,” Hutto said.

Delta is also exploring different options to possibly finance students' education in addition to the opportunities it already provides.

The gift from Delta in fall 2017 funded the construction of the Delta Air Lines Aviation Education Building. As well as the creation of endowed faculty professorships and purchase of an aircraft simulator. It also provided funding for the University’s Radio Frequency Identification Lab.

Auburn has one of the longest-standing public flight programs in the country, and is one of the leading institutions in RFID technology.

Emerge at Auburn, a new student leadership organization, also received funding from the gift. 

Share and discuss “Delta partners with Auburn to give students quick path to becoming pilots” on social media.