How Auburn football's 2019 commits fared in their season openers

<p>Photo of George Pickens (1 in orange)&nbsp;courtesy of Ingrid Schnader / Over the Mountain Journal</p>

Photo of George Pickens (1 in orange) courtesy of Ingrid Schnader / Over the Mountain Journal

Gus Malzahn’s current squad will take to the field in a highly anticipated matchup with Washington in less than a week. His future players, however, have already begun their senior seasons.

Auburn’s 2019 class of verbal commitments made splashes across the country over the weekend for their respective high schools and academies. Rated at No. 8 and No. 9 in the nation by 247 Sports composite and Rivals, respectively, next year’s group of Tigers is viewed as some of Malzahn’s most impressive work, considering the recruiting cycle is still young.

Here’s how the big-name prospects fared. All ratings are according to 247 Sports composite.

Owen Pappoe, outside linebacker (5-star; No. 10 overall nationally; No. 1 at his position)

Grayson (Loganville, Ga.)

The Grayson defense stifled Tucker High School in its season opener, allowing just three first downs and 58 total yards of offense. The Tigers didn’t earn a first down until the second-to-last play of the third quarter. In addition to his defensive prowess, the 5-star Pappoe scored a rushing touchdown from 1 yard out in the second quarter of a 48-7 win.

George Pickens, wide receiver (4-star; No. 40 overall nationally; No. 7 at his position)

Hoover (Birmingham, Ala.)

Playing at noon on Saturday, before the Week 0 college football games kicked off, Pickens and the Hoover Bucs may have had the biggest stage of the weekend. Thanks in large part to Pickens’ 120 yards and two scores on eight catches, Hoover routed Bo Nix and Pinson Valley, 52-14. Both of Pickens’ touchdown grabs came in the first quarter, and the 6-foot-3 wideout appeared too physical and athletic to guard all game.

Bo Nix, dual-threat quarterback (4-star; No. 44 overall nationally; No. 1 at his position)

Pinson Valley (Pinson, Ala.)

Nix was unfortunately on the sour end of Saturday’s contest. Nix impressed overall, but wishy-washy performances from his receivers hindered his stat line, which finished at 20-38 passing for 205 yards and a touchdown.

Zion Puckett, athlete (4-star; No. 104 overall nationally; No. 7 at his position)

Spalding (Griffin, Ga.)

The second most recent addition to Auburn’s 2019 class, Puckett is one of four Tigers in the group that projects at defensive back for Malzahn, joining Jaylin Simpson, Cam’Ron Kelly and Jashawn Sheffield. In Spalding’s (1-1) win over Carver in Atlanta, the 4-star racked up just 27 total yards from scrimmage.

Jaren Handy, strongside defensive end (4-star; No. 109 overall nationally; No. 8 at his position)

Hattiesburg (Hattiesburg, Miss.)

The top rated pure defensive player for the Tigers, Handy and Hattiesburg weathered a bizarre delay to defeat rival Laurel, 41-20. According to the Hattiesburg American, the stadium was evacuated because some fans thought they heard gunshots. Hattiesburg’s head coach, the town mayor and Hattiesburg police confirmed that the noise heard was a door slamming underneath the bleachers, which frightened kids in attendance. When the 10-minute delay had ended, after which only two minutes of game time remained, Handy and the Tiger defense held Laurel to 94 rushing yards, including three tackles for loss in the first half for the four-star.

Keiondre Jones, offensive guard (4-star; No. 138 nationally; No. 7 at his position)

Callaway (Hogansville, Ga.)

Jones and the Callaway Cavaliers opened against the Opelika Bulldogs with a 35-21 win in Georgia, and Jones’ offensive line may have been the difference. Four-star 2020 running back Tank Bigsby scored three touchdowns after a slow first half. He’s a big-time Auburn target for next year.

Jashawn Sheffield, athlete (4-star; No. 170 nationally; No. 12 at his position)

Fredercia Academy (Saint Simons Island, Ga.)

Sheffield tallied a few tackles over the weekend in a defensive battle that saw Fredercia lose to Valwood, 7-6. The Knights are now 0-2 on the season.

Cam’Ron Kelly, athlete (4-star; No. 177 nationally, No. 13 at his position)

Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, Va.)

A one-time Virginia Tech commit, Kelly is the most recent addition to Auburn’s 2019 class. Kelly was recruited by defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson and would likely end up in that room if he were to remain a Tiger, but he also plays quarterback for Oscar Smith. In a 41-26 win over West Forsyth, Kelly finished 5 of 9 passing for 146 yards and a touchdown while rushing for 40 yards and a score.

Jaylin Simpson, athlete (4-star; No. 330 nationally, No. 26 at his position)

Simpson tallied an interception on the second play from scrimmage only to have his offense turn in right back over in the Knights’ 7-6 loss.

Tyler Fromm, tight end (4-star; No. 361 nationally; No. 17 at his position)

Warner Robins (Warner Robins, Ga.)

Still dealing with a shoulder injury, Fromm, the brother of Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm, missed Warner Robin’s season-opening win over Locust Grove. Per 247 Sports, the injury is only expected to hold Fromm out a few more games. The tight end hopes to room with Nix when the two arrive on The Plains next year.

Justin Osborne, offensive tackle (3-star; No. 437 nationally; No. 41 at his position)

IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)

Once a commit to Gary Patterson and TCU, Osborne reopened his recruitment over the summer, eventually landing with Malzahn and Auburn. IMG Academy, a national powerhouse for developing high school talent, had a field day at defending WPIAL and PIAA champion Pine-Richland in Pennsylvania, rushing for nearly 300 yards and invoking the mercy rule in the third quarter in a 42-0 win.

Luke Deal, tight end (3-star; No. 458 nationally; No. 22 at his position)

Emerald (Greenwood, S.C.)

Two big-time tight ends in one class? Malzahn and the Auburn offense have made it clear that they hope to add that wrinkle into future offenses by heavily recruiting the position. Unlike Fromm, Deal saw action this weekend, but caught only two passes for two yards in a 47-7 humbling at the hands of T.L. Hanna (Anderson, S.C.).

Colby Wooden, strongside defensive end (3-star; No. 479 nationally; No. 31 at his position)

Archer (Lawrenceville, Ga.)

Archer will resume action this Friday after resting on an early bye week. In the team’s first game of the season, Wooden stood out in a loss, recording several tackles for loss, including a key fourth-down stop early.

Jamond Gordon, weakside defensive end (3-star; No. 495 nationally; No. 40 at his position)

Meridian (Meridian, Miss.)

Malzahn’s uptick in Mississippi recruiting also includes Gordon, a 6-foot-4, 275-pound pass rusher who was instrumental in holding Davidson (Mobile, Ala.) to just over 100 total yards in Meridian’s 21-13 win. Gordon and his team next travel to Central High School in Phenix City, Alabama, this Friday.

Ja’Varrius Johnson, wide receiver (3-star; No. 114 at his position)

Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, Ala.)

In the second game of the ESPN doubleheader, after Pickens and Hoover beat Pinson Valley, Johnson and Hewitt-Trusville fell to Cedar Grove (Ga.), 34-30, despite Johnson’s 154 yards off 11 receptions.

Jakai Clark, center (3-star; No. 11 at his position)

Grayson (Loganville, Ga.)

Leading the charge in the trenches for the Grayson offense, Clark paved the way for 225 rushing yards and 19 first downs in a victory for he and Pappoe.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “How Auburn football's 2019 commits fared in their season openers” on social media.