Meet the Ward 5 City Council candidates

With only three incumbents running for re-election and Auburn’s 20-year mayor choosing to not run again, there will be new leadership in Auburn

<p>Auburn's municipal elections are set for Tuesday, Aug. 28.</p>

Auburn's municipal elections are set for Tuesday, Aug. 28.

The Auburn Municipal Election is Tuesday, Aug. 28.

All eight City Council positions and the mayorship are up for election.

With only three incumbents running for re-election and Auburn’s 20-year mayor choosing to not run again, there will be new leadership in Auburn.

Meet the City Council candidates for Ward 5.

Candidates are sorted by the first letter of their last name. Incumbents are denoted with an (I) beside their name.

Answers were not edited for length or content.

Steven Dixon

1. Why did you decide to run for City Council?

Auburn is my hometown, I grew up here. My family is here, and I own a small video production & photography company here (Steven Dixon Media). I think it's important to be involved in the community you live in and this is one way I would love to serve my neighbors and Auburn. Over the past few years, I have seen a lot of changes happen in our town. Some are good and others not so good. The City of Auburn lacks transparency. It is not easy to find information on the website and when asked about ordinance changes, the city tells people that they put the information in the newspaper. Every tax dollar spent should be accounted for and that information should be available for residents to know.

2. What experience do you have that you think would help you if you are elected to the City Council?

I am self-employed. I started my own business back in 2009 with very little money. I know how to spend money wisely and effectively. I'm also very personable, if elected, I want to continue to meet the people in our ward, even for those that did not vote for me and hear their concerns.

3. What is the most important issue facing your ward that you would like to address if you are elected?

There is a lack of communication in our city. I would like for our local government to utilize software from opengov.com to help Auburn become more transparent with our tax dollars and changes in ordinances.

Brian O'Neil

Last year, it became apparent the city’s leadership was going to see major changes in the next election cycle. I felt compelled to lead our community out of a season of divisiveness. This decision was not taken lightly. My wife and I went through a thorough decision-making process. In the end, I felt a deep conviction to step in faith that I was called and equipped to be the next councilman for Ward 5. That I was the kind of leader the city needed in this next season of progress.

Auburn needs leadership that cares about the past and brings new innovative, progressive ideas to the table. I grew up in this community. I am a product of the city school system and the university. Education has always been important. My grandmother served as assistant superintendent under Dr. Richardson. I relate to the business sector. Our family owned several businesses in town, including a recycling business in the building that now houses the Food Bank. My work with Third Lens has afforded me the opportunity to work with organizations and communities across the globe. I collaborate regularly with some of the brightest minds in community development, design, and planning.

Our biggest challenge is bringing citizens back into community and fellowship. We don’t have to agree on all the issues, but we have to unite under a common vision for our great city. Our community, and to a larger extent our nation, are deeply divided along political and racial lines. Adversaries to progress would like nothing more than to see us enthralled in conflict and turmoil. Auburn deserves leadership that is focused on unifying the community and collectively progressing towards a better future. The citizens also deserve leadership that represents their best interests and communicates that effectively and with transparency. I am equipped and called to be that type of leader.

The Plainsman did not receive responses from Walter Northcutt. 

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Meet the Ward 5 City Council candidates” on social media.