Same crepes, new wheels

The Crepe Myrtle truck will be making its way around to many different locations on campus throughout the semester every weekday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

<p>The Crepe Myrtle Truck serves food to students on Monday, Aug. 20, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Crepe Myrtle Truck serves food to students on Monday, Aug. 20, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn University welcomed the Crepe Myrtle food truck to campus this week With a smaller menu than at the brick and morter location, the food truck will be featuring many of the favorites in order to keep the same customer base as before. 

This past spring, the popular, local restaurant closed its main location on South Donahue Drive. Crepe Myrtle was a restaurant that was welcoming and friendly to students, which behind the doors of an antique barn was an aesthetically appealing environment with fresh air and fresh crepes. 

However, a slight change of plans put owner King Braswell’s barn on wheels.

Some of the familiar choices making a return include breakfast crepes, chicken salad crepes, an Mexican crepes. The food truck will also be promoting a weekly special crepe that will highlight some of the best from the original menu. 

Jake Norwood, senior at Auburn, said he was a frequent customer at the South Donahue location, but he wasn’t aware of the new option on campus. 

“I just walked out of class and just saw the Crepe Myrtle truck and it was really encouraging because it was kind of a staple, and it was a great date spot and stuff, so it was really impactful, and they have great food,” Norwood said.

The purpose behind keeping a smaller menu is to allow the truck to have enough room to store the fresh foods used in all of the crepes as well as to help with the accountability required to be fast enough for students to pick up and go between busy schedules. 

In addition to the menu remaining relatively unchanged, frequent customers of the previous location will also recognize many of the same faces that brought them their crepes. 

The Crepe Myrtle truck will be making its way around to many different locations on campus throughout the semester every weekday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The changing locations will serve to provide an equal opportunity for the other food trucks that will be a part of this year’s dining options. 

The places on campus that food trucks will call home will be the same as the past semester, but campus will also welcome two new spots on the Mell Concourse.

Campus dining set out to find ways to provide more diversity in dining options throughout campus. The Crepe Myrtle truck is one of the many ways it has looked to do so. 

By contributing an unconventional alternative to the other food options around campus, students can experience the local favorites off campus from on campus. 

While the formation of the food truck and its menu was being constructed during the summer, Braswell has been looking to open a physical location for Crepe Myrtle Cafe on the corner of East Samford and East Glenn avenues by the end of the year. 

Share and discuss “Same crepes, new wheels” on social media.