Auburn's new healthy option to eat on campus

Saladworks opened on Aug. 29, 2018.
Saladworks opened on Aug. 29, 2018.

Students can now build their own salads and wraps on campus in the student center in the franchise-based Saladworks.

On Aug. 29, the new location opened on the bottom floor of the Student Center and provides a place for signature salads, wraps, soups and even the creative build-your-own option. 

Amanda Pace, field training specialist for Saladworks, said that everything is prepared fresh every day at Saladworks. 

“This is a great place to come to get healthy options, but we know that not all salads have to be healthy,” Pace said. “We have breaded chicken. We have honey barbecue, pepperoni and ham, so it’s really for anyone.”

The signature salads include the Bently, chicken caesar, turkey club and tiboli among others. The Bently has a mix of romaine and iceberg lettuce as well as meat like ham and turkey. 

The Tiboli, on the other hand, also includes ham and turkey, romaine and iceberg, as well as pepperoni and pasta. 

In addition, students with dietary needs may find that Saladworks is a good option as well, as they try to accommodate to all needs. 

“I love this place because I have a lot of food allergies, and they worked with that so well because I didn’t know if I could have one of their specific ones, but you can create it and get whatever you want on it, and it’s healthier and good for people that have a hard time finding places to eat,” said Elizabeth Bennett, senior in elementary education. 

Adrienne Hill, senior in elementary education, said that she likes the many options the restaurant offers.

“It’s a healthy alternative to some of [the other restaurants] that aren’t necessarily good for you,” Hill said. 

Tiger Dining has taken note that students enjoy having healthy options on campus, as well as different options. Glenn Loughridge, director of Tiger Dining, said students often request fresh food, and Saladworks fulfills that need.

“We were very interested in making sure that we had it online because clearly we want things that students are interested in because the more things that students like, the better that spreads out the lines,” Loughridge said. 

Caroline Kirk, freshman in interior design, has eaten at Saladworks for the past six days in a row, sticking to the signature Buffalo Salad as her favorite. 

“I’ve eaten them, and I haven’t felt terrible after I eat them, and it’s not just like fried chicken and everything,” Kirk said. “I’m not feeling terrible. I’m trying to avoid the ‘freshman 15,’ too, so anything that will help that.”

David Frezoco, senior in political science, said that despite Saladworks being fast food, he felt better after eating it rather than other fast food options.

“Well, I mean we do know that healthy options are an important thing to our student population, we hear that a lot, and I also feel like that the concept of creating your own salad is something that is important, that you have a lot of different options that you can kind of create something that is a little bit more customized,” Loughridge said.

Share and discuss “Auburn's new healthy option to eat on campus” on social media.