Budgeting on a meal plan for a full semester

“I usually stop for lunch over by the Student Center or at several of the food trucks and Chicken Salad Chick, mostly because it’s just right next to my classes,” Crickard said.

Auburn students use Tiger Cards for the on-campus meal plan.

With over 40 on-campus dining options available to Auburn University students, having a meal plan can be beneficial.

Before each semester begins, students using their AU Access accounts can choose from a variety of meal plan options. On-campus students can choose plans ranging from $1,100, which is roughly 110 meals per semester, to $2, 257, which is 225 meals per semester. Off-campus and graduate students also have the option to choose a meal plan from $350 to $2,257. 

With restaurants ranging from Starbucks to the Steak ‘n Shake Food Truck and Chicken Salad Chick, the endless opportunities to grab a meal before, during and after class are easily available to every student. 

Several dining options are conveniently placed around campus next to dorm halls, The Student Center, Foy Hall and more. 

“I usually stop for lunch over by the Student Center or at several of the food trucks and Chicken Salad Chick, mostly because it’s just right next to my classes,” said Grace Crickard, freshman in pre-nursing science.  

With so many choices, picking the right meal plan before a semester begins can be a tough choice for students, especially freshman who have never used a meal plan before. 

“I picked the $1,100 meal plan before coming to Auburn because I really had no idea how much money I would spend on food,” said Abigail Griffin, freshman in pre-communication. “Now, I’ve realized how much more money I am going to need by the end of the semester.”

“With the $1,100 meal plan and only eating about two meals per day on campus, I think that should be able to get me through the semester,” Crickard said. “I don’t think I will have any more to transfer into the next semester, but I should be able to not have to add to it by the time it ends.” 

Eating three meals on campus per day can really add up before students realize. Depending on the restaurant and what students order, meals can range anywhere from $7 to $17 and up to $20 per meal when eating at The Wellness Kitchen. When budgeting out a week’s worth of meals on campus, the total can sometimes come to a costly $255 for three meals a day in a five day week. 

Share and discuss “Budgeting on a meal plan for a full semester” on social media.