Numbers never lie: Inside the statistics defining Auburn's season thus far

Jartarvious Whitlow (28) running the ball during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Through four games this season, the Tigers have had their ups and downs. 

From a win over top-10 Washington to a collapsing, last-second loss to LSU, storylines have been aplenty. 

Diving past the typical stats in the box score, here is a look at some numbers that have defined the first four games of Auburn's season.

1,779 

Days since Auburn had returned a kickoff for a touchdown until Noah Igbinoghene took one 96-yards to the house against Arkansas. The last kickoff return for a touchdown was in 2013 against Tennessee with Corey Grant taking the opening second-`half kick 90 yards for the score. 

Noah Igbinoghene (4) celevrates after scoring a touchdown during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

50

Percentage of field goals Anders Carlson has hit this season. The Carlson last name carries a lot of weight in the Auburn community, but the youngster has not been up to par to his older brother Daniel through his first four games at Auburn. The bright side of the early miscues is four of his five misses have been from 50 yards or more. 

More experience and time to get in sync with both a new long snapper and holder should get Carlson's consistency back on track.

Anders Carlson (26) kicking a field goal during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

32 

Tackles for loss among this Auburn defense so far this season. The Tigers’ defensive front is known as one of the better units in the country and they have proved it. 

The Tiger run defense has dominated opposing backfields, not allowing an opposing rusher over 75 yards all season. 

Zakoby McClain (35) tackles Rakeem Boyd (5) during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

6.09 

The lowest yards-per-attempt mark Jarrett Stidham has had in a win during his time at Auburn. The offensive line play has been nothing short of subpar and the lack of steady play has hurt Stidham’s ability to make reads and deliver accurate passes. 

The solution has been to get rid of passes quickly instead of the deep explosive plays that were a staple from the year before. 

Jarrett Stidham (8) during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 20108 in Auburn, Ala.

2.5

Yards per rush for Auburn against Arkansas. The Tigers struggled to move the ball, not just in the passing game, but especially with running the football. Auburn’s two leading rushers were JaTarvious Whitlow, who had 13 rushes for 49 yards, and Kam Martin with eight rushes for 39 yards. 

Taking out the Alabama State game, the Tigers have only rushed for 368 yards and six touchdowns on 119 attempts for just over three yards a carry, which is nothing close to Auburn's typical rushing attack.  

JaTarvious Whitlow (28) running the ball during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

12.5 

Good enough for the third-best scoring defense in the nation. Auburn’s defense has shut down opponents this season and continued that trend against Arkansas by only allowing three points to the Razorbacks. 

The Tigers would have the No. 1 spot, but a safety against Alabama State knocked the Tigers back to third. 

Jamien Sherwood (9) jumps up to block a pass from Ty Storey (4) during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

20.4

Receiving yards per catch for freshman speedster Anthony Schwartz. Schwartz has been heavily involved in the passing attack and has become a reliable option for Stidham early in the season. 

As a freshman, Schwartz has become Auburn’s leading receiver in total yardage and yards per reception for receivers with at least two catches.

Anthony Schwartz (5) taking it down the field during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Share and discuss “Numbers never lie: Inside the statistics defining Auburn's season thus far” on social media.