Miss Homecoming candidate Maddy Hickman: 'Lend a Hand with Hickman'

via Maddy Hickman Campaign
via Maddy Hickman Campaign

Maddy Hickman always saw college as the next step.

As a first-generation college student, her campaign for Miss Homecoming focuses on making sure high-school students know they have a place in higher education. 

Hickman, senior in public relations, is taking the Top 5 nomination with complete surprise as she transfers out of being a former campaign manager and into the limelight. 

“I’ll be speaking at high schools in the area and hosting benefit nights to raise money for first-generation college students,” Hickman said. “That will go through the AUSOM application.” 

Hickman said she felt a bit lost when applying, and her mother helped her hire a counselor to assist her with FAFSA, college applications and loans. She is spending her campaign week working with students to ensure they feel equipped and able to go to college. 

While on the concourse, Hickman and her campaign will write letters to high-school students about their futures, encouraging them to dream big and work toward their aspirations. 

They will write letters to juniors and seniors around the area, and Hickman will deliver them toward the end of the week. 

“We are going to have hula hoops and jump ropes on the concourse to remind people of their high school years and how care free and fun that time was,” Hickman said. 

Hickman knew college was the next step for her, and she said she made the decision to take on the loans to get her to the University she fell in love with — Auburn.

Hickman has seen how some students don’t have to worry about funding for their education, and at times, she felt stressed, overwhelmed and alone. 

“I stayed up until 3 a.m. filling out some three-page scholarship essay that wouldn’t come to fruition, but I was just hoping to get that extra $200 for books or a laptop,” Hickman said. 

She wants to work toward supporting students who do not have the financial support of their parents as they are entering the higher education sphere. 

She said the experience has been worth all of the debt, and she does not regret the decision of leaving home and taking a chance. 

“Miss Homecoming, to me, is about the platform, and at the end of the day, I would love your support because I am passionate about my platform,” Hickman said. “I would love to watch it become something that Auburn students take part in by going into high schools.”

Share and discuss “Miss Homecoming candidate Maddy Hickman: 'Lend a Hand with Hickman'” on social media.