Sensigreen CDH Foundation to lead bowling fundraiser

A local nonprofit organization is looking to score a strike against a relatively unknown birth defect by raising awareness through a night at the bowling lanes next week

<p>Good Times Bowling Alley&nbsp;replaces Hastings on Glenn Avenue in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Good Times Bowling Alley replaces Hastings on Glenn Avenue in Auburn, Ala.

A local nonprofit organization is looking to score a strike against a relatively unknown birth defect by raising awareness through a night at the bowling lanes next week. 

The Sensigreen CDH Foundation based in Opelika has scheduled an inaugural University Bowling Social at GoodTimes on Thursday, Sept. 27 at 5 p.m. College students will receive the chance to enjoy rounds of bowling while supporting the foundation, which aims to aid families affected by congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH).

Six teams of members from the Kappa Delta and Delta Zeta sororities, as well as students from public relations classes in the College of Liberal Arts, will be facing off in a casual setting. A raffle drawing for prizes will take place throughout the event. Aubie is also said to be supporting the cause, making an appearance for photo opportunities with attendees.

Amy Register, executive director of the Sensigreen CDH Foundation, says that despite the severity of the defect, many parents who encounter it with their newborns had never heard of it previously. She feels getting college students in the know before going out into the world is vital and might better prepare those afflicted with it.

“We want to start educating students here locally because [they’re] going to be the next wave of people having children in the next 5-15 years,” Register said.

CDH appears in an estimated 1 in 3,000 live births and is associated with an improper formation of the diaphragm in utero. This can involve a hole opening in the diaphragm, the muscle not being fully developed, or not being formed at all. The abnormality’s effects can prove fatal in some cases, granting digestive organs passage into the chest cavity which can restrict lung growth and cause heart misplacement, among other symptoms.

Sensigreen is a heating contractor business at its core, but the framework of its CDH Foundation originated with the birth of CEO Justin Quinn’s second daughter Lily, who is affected by CDH. The organization’s website states that Lily became blue with her first breath, with doctors carrying out a 45-minute medical procedure to stabilize her.

The child recovered following surgery over the course of only five weeks against an expected four to six months, but the family traveled home to find themselves with a $500,000 hospital bill, although their worries were short-lived.

"Justin and Jessica received a grant from a family that covered almost all of the bill. They couldn't believe their family would receive another miracle. It is this gift that really stuck with Justin and he has always said that if he ever had the opportunity to financially help another CDH family, he would,” according to the Sensigreen CDH Foundation website.

All profits of the University Bowling Social will be going back to the Sensigreen CDH Foundation. The social is the first of several upcoming functions the foundation has plans for, with others in the future including a golf tournament and skeet shooting competition. It is actively seeking volunteers for these, though no date has been provided on when they will occur.

Any other interested parties of student organizations considering participating in the social or helping with future events are encouraged to email Amy Register at cdh@sensigreen.com for further details.

Share and discuss “Sensigreen CDH Foundation to lead bowling fundraiser” on social media.