Auburn Parks and Rec to implement $40 million plan

The comprehensive plan focuses on upgrades to the quality of Auburn’s parks

<p>A baby plays with dogs during Puppy Palooza at Kiesel Park on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

A baby plays with dogs during Puppy Palooza at Kiesel Park on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

The City of Auburn took first steps in implementing a new $39,000,00 Parks, Recreation and Cultural Master Plan. 

The comprehensive plan focuses on upgrades to the quality of Auburn’s parks, recreation, arts and cultural programing, library, greenspace and greenways, trails, facilities, landscape and natural features, according to the Parks and Recreation Department. 

“The plan long term will provide for additional opportunities spread throughout the city,” said Parks and Recreation Director Becky Richardson. “The first set of projects are dispersed throughout the city and meet a number of needs, as well as expressed desires during the public comments. Examples are more space for seniors programming, arts programs and special needs programs, pickleball courts for our fast-growing community of pickleball players, additional space for several current sports programs and additional parks, playgrounds and trails."

There are 13 proposed projects with the projected budget to be $39,177,790, according to the online version of the plan. 

“The most exciting part of the master plan is the allocation of additional space to areas that need it such as the art center and Dean Road Recreation Center,” Richardson said. “One of the parks that we will be developing is on property that was given to the city by the Dinius family. The property is on East Glenn Avenue near East University Drive and will be a passive park. The property is approximately 13 acres and will be a passive park that will serve that area for the future. In addition, we will be building our first inclusive playground at Town Creek Park,” Richardson said. 

Community opinion was considered while planning the master plan with several opportunities for civic discussion, according to the Parks and Recreation Department. Over 60 stakeholder groups met with the consultants, as well as three public meetings for recreation and the arts and two for library. There was also a time when citizens could email their comments regarding the plan. Surveys were utilized to identify citizen priorities. 

“The consultants evaluated current programs and interviewed staff. These were used to determine other needs and a recommendation was made to discontinue some programs without adequate participation. A list of facility additions and renovations were created and were assigned current city property or were listed separately where there was not property available. The plan spreads projects throughout the city and attempts to meet all needs along with some current trends,” Richardson said. 

As far as wanted improvements from residents, the plan cites parks and trails as two of the highest ranked.

“Youth sports programs continue to grow each year. Senior programs are a growing trend as is pickleball, which is primarily a senior activity. Our parks continue to experience growth in numbers for organized events and for passive use. Special events are very popular with a demand for more,” Richardson said.

Furthermore, the Auburn Public Library is involved in the initial phase of the master plan. 

Parks and Rec and the Library, even though they’re separate departments, both focus on quality of life for all Auburn residents, and finding ways that they could collaborate to serve a growing community has been a productive process, according to the Auburn Public Library Director Chris Warren. 

Improvements to the library include adding more books on the shelves, an outdoor classroom and better accessibility to sidewalks, according to Warren.

“The improvements will help make our library more accessible, more welcoming and more responsive to the needs of residents. With improved collections, expanded programs and a renovated facility, we hope to continue serving our patrons in meaningful and impactful ways,” Warren said.

“The plan is also designed to be adjustable to take into account any programs or activities that might become popular and have a need for facilities in the next ten or so years,” Richardson said.

Share and discuss “Auburn Parks and Rec to implement $40 million plan” on social media.