Homecoming Parade hits downtown Auburn

The Plainsmen and War Eagle Girls during the Homecoming Parade on Friday, Sept. 28, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn’s homecoming parade proceeded through Downtown Auburn on Friday. Hundreds of people gathered at Toomer’s Corner and the surrounding streets to marvel at the floats and the Auburn University Marching Band.

Strains of the marching band’s “War Eagle” heralded the arrival of the parade just as the police escort pulled into view, inciting nervous energy and shifting in the crowd as everyone pressed forward for a better view. 

The marching band paraded by, prompting cheers and applause from spectators. 

“My favorite part was the marching band,” said Luke Heslep, Auburn resident. “I’m a big fan.”

The band was followed by the 2018 Homecoming candidates beaming at the crowd atop convertibles. They were followed by an array of pageant winners bedecked in bright gowns and shining smiles.

Abbie Ingram, freshmen in undeclared science and math, said her favorite part was seeing her sorority’s float and president in the parade.

The floats came through pulled by trucks with their beds full of sorority and fraternity members cheering and waving enthusiastically at the crowd.

Jessie Roller, freshmen in apparel merchandising, came to see the parade because she is a first-year student, and she wanted to experience all that Homecoming has to offer. 

“I’m in a sorority, so I wanted to see my float and I like the band -- lot of respect for them,” Roller said.

An Auburn fire engine arrived at the end of the parade, carrying Aubie and a fireman in his gear waving to the crowd. They were received with energetic cheering and cries of “War Eagle” and “Go Aubie."

“I loved that children were so excited by the music and dancing and clapping and yelling and excited about Aubie,” said Sandra McMillin, Auburn resident. “I liked [the floats] that looked like the stadium with all of the people in it.”

Between each of the floats, members of the Student Government Association passed out orange and blue beads to the children in the crowd.

“Compared to what we’re used to, this is awesome,” said Kristi Heslep, who is visiting her son from Arizona. “I love the small town atmosphere and the parade was awesome.”

Share and discuss “Homecoming Parade hits downtown Auburn” on social media.