Local police participate in National Coffee with Cops Day in Student Center

A woman speaks with members of local law enforcement during Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

On Wednesday Oct. 3, the Auburn Police Division set up in the Student Center to participate in National Coffee with a Cop Day. The police officers brought free coffee and Krispy Kreme doughnuts for students as well as the chance for some casual conversation. 

Beginning in 2016, National Coffee with a Cop Day falls on the first Wednesday in October. The holiday was inspired by the popular image of cops drinking coffee and eating doughnuts.

Jamey Presley, a police officer that’s been on the force about 17 years, spent the event handing out free breakfast and interacting with passing students. 

“It’s National Coffee with a Cop Day,” Presley said. “It’s just a chance for police agencies to interact with the community in a positive way, not just a job way.” 

The police were happy to have the chance to try and shed the stereotype of unfriendly cops. 

“We just thought we’d do it in the Student Center and bring coffee and donuts,” Presley said. “Who doesn’t like that? It’s going pretty well."

“I was kind of just wondering what they were doing,” said Joe Reich, senior in industrial engineering. “They’re always doing their hard work, so I might as well give them the time and make them feel well-liked on campus. It was awesome. There’s free coffee involved, and I got the chance to talk to some people that protect the city.”

Laura Craft, junior in management, had no idea that it was National Coffee with a Cop Day. She said she enjoyed the relaxed environment of the event and that she was able to just talk to police in a personal setting.

“You get to see that cops aren’t all bad,” Craft said. “They’re actually pretty cool. It was really awesome. I loved it.”

Share and discuss “Local police participate in National Coffee with Cops Day in Student Center” on social media.