Student group raises puppies to become service dogs

Jennifer Lyon's current puppy in training Driggers.

Groups like the Auburn Puppy Raisers make it their mission to raise dogs that can see for their owners. 

Jennifer Lyons is the coordinator for the Auburn puppy-raising group that works for the Guide Dog Foundation, and she has been involved with puppy raising since her undergraduate years at Auburn. 

Lyons is now a veterinary student at Auburn and oversees the Auburn group by helping the other puppy raisers and coordinating events that will aid the dogs in their training. 

“The goal is to help this dog get to the point where it can change somebody’s life,” Lyons said.

Lyons learned of the organization through the previous coordinator for the group and took over when that coordinator stepped down. 

Lyons’ first dog she raised was a golden retriever named Serena.

“She’s a beautiful red dog, and she kind of introduced me to guide-dog puppy raising,” Lyons said. “She was a really wonderful first dog to raise through this organization.”

Serena was with Lyons for 13 months. After the dogs finish their initial training with the puppy raisers, they head off to the foundation for further training and matching with an owner. Lyons was able to travel to New York to see Serena graduate from training as well. 

“I got to see Serena and her [owner], doing what she was meant to do, and that made it all worth it,” Lyons said. “I was just so proud and it was a very very special feeling that is almost indescribable.”

The process of training a dog is not easy, but rewarding, Lyons said. Handlers are not on their own. The foundation helps those raising puppies throughout the process. 

“If you don’t know how to do something, there’s always someone there that can explain things to you or show you how to do it,” Lyons said. “So, you have a lot of support, and that makes this process a lot more fun and rewarding.”

Lyons said that one of the challenges that comes with raising a dog is that it has less to do with the dog and more to do with the person they are paired with.

“A lot of people love seeing dogs out in public, and some are really good about knowing not to touch the animals and knowing that it’s working and they need to be left alone,” Lyons said. -

Many people, however, do not treat the dog or handler with respect, Lyons said. She said that once her dog was picked up without permission while it was in the middle of a training session. 

There is etiquette that accompanies a service dog that many people don’t understand or follow, she added. 

Dog handlers have to not just put the dog through the training that all dogs have to go through, but they also have to train the dog how to sit through a lecture, walk calmly and walk long distances.

The group makes the decision whether the puppy is cut out for training to ensure that a puppy would enjoy having the responsibility. Skittish dogs are often regularly adopted rather than go through training because it’s not something the puppy would enjoy or be good at, Lyons said. 

Popular dogs are bred specifically for the job such as golden retrievers or Labrador retrievers. Poodles are another common breed because they work well for people who have allergies. One of the questions that prospective handlers often receive is about giving the puppies up when it’s time for them to move on. 

“As you sign on to be a puppy raiser, you have this mentality from the get-go that this puppy is not mine. This puppy is meant for somebody else who really needs him or her,” Lyons said.

Lyons said that anyone can be a handler as there is no special degree or training required. 

“You just need to have patience and a willingness to learn and willingness to accept constructive criticism and suggestion to help you be a better handler,” Lyons said.

Share and discuss “Student group raises puppies to become service dogs” on social media.