House District 83 candidates detail their political outlook

<p>After the primary election in May, the Republican primary winner for the District 27 senate race could be decided by a coin toss.&nbsp;</p>

After the primary election in May, the Republican primary winner for the District 27 senate race could be decided by a coin toss. 

With the impending Nov. 6 election, Democratic nominee Jeremy A. Gray and Republican nominee Michael J. Holden II of House District 83 are intent on improving community engagement for the citizens of Lee County and Russell County.

Holden first became interested in serving in a political position when he and his brother were discussing issues several years ago. Feeling he could work harder to create change in the region, he announced he was running in February of this year. He credits the second debate of the most recent presidential race as the main factor for entering the playing field.

“I watched the candidates and how people reacted to both, so I started to pray about how I can make a difference,” Holden said. “I heard my calling, so I talked to my family, and we jumped right in.”

Holden has served as a member of the Beauregard Volunteer Fire Department, just southeast of Auburn, for the past 10 years and thinks more state funds could be allocated to better prepare for emergencies. He said this experience was also a driving force in seeking a term as a representative.

“I want to see these departments thrive — ensure they have the means to do the job they volunteer for,” Holden said. "I see the struggles of maintaining equipment and a roster of good people to serve their communities."

As for Gray, his wish to serve in government stems back to his time at North Carolina State University. Being immersed in an inclusive environment at college made him want to see equal opportunities for all at home, he said.

Two years back, Gray founded The Curtis House in Opelika, a nonprofit for “those who [are] entering the workforce, starting families or just trying to figure things out.” Though he expected much effort would be needed to begin, he said he didn’t anticipate the pushback he received. He attributes this as the catalyst that got him started in politics.

“Having to deal with that degree of exclusion changed me,” Gray said. “It was clear to me that our leaders were disconnected from the real, day-to-day lives of everyday people. The question of whether or not I had considered running for office had come up before, but it was not until my experience dealing directly with local people that my answer became yes.”

Holden wants to continue Auburn's ever-expanding development by improving the infrastructure of the city as well as both counties, in which the roads, he said, are in dire need of repair. He would also like to entice more businesses to set up locations in the community, as well as creating suitable job preparation initiatives to employ citizens at these businesses.

“Our goal should be to have a trained workforce to increase the way of life for everyone in our area,” Holden said.

Gray is looking more at financial concerns with regards to quality of schools, technological progress and career training. To address the first, he plans to propose an education lottery bill he aims to use for a variety of educational purposes. These include “funding underfunded school systems, providing scholarship programs for high school graduates and [creating] partial scholarships for second-chance programs that focus on supporting nontraditional college students” wanting degrees and certifications without the fear of being covered in loans.

Other ideas Gray has in mind are new tax incentives oriented on health and wellness, stronger outreach of virtual and mobile health clinics and implementation of cradle-to-career education programs. Above all, he said it’s most important for citizens to understand the legislation and approve of it.

“From economic development to the preservation of farmlands, I believe in establishing relationships with people to provide area-specific solutions for the district,” Gray said.

With District 83 having a significant student population as a result of Auburn University and Southern Union State Community College, the two candidates hold similar views in that an early, though unrestricted, teaching of politics is vital, whether by parents, like-minded organizations or courses in school.

“I personally believe that the number one problem with voters, especially young voters, is that they have been made to believe their vote doesn’t matter,” Holden said. “I, myself, am guilty of this thinking for a few years. I think that politics and the importance of such should be taught on a neutral basis — no party affiliations, no alternative agendas – just the basics, and let young people form their own opinions.”

Gray noted the importance of being proactive with politics.

“As students, I encourage you to form issue-driven discussion groups,” Gray said. "Volunteer your time to work with a campaign that aligns with your values, and take classes that explore social issues."

The election is on Tuesday, Nov. 6. Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “House District 83 candidates detail their political outlook” on social media.