SGA and ISO to host joint Thanksgiving feast Tuesday

<p>Volunteers serve food during the International Peace Dinner hosted by the International Student Organization in the Student Center on Oct. 28. </p>

Volunteers serve food during the International Peace Dinner hosted by the International Student Organization in the Student Center on Oct. 28.

The Student Government Association and the International Student Organization will be hosting a joint Thanksgiving feast on Tuesday for all students who are still in Auburn during the break.

The inaugural Fall Feast will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 20 at noon in the Student Center Ballroom. The organizations will provide a traditional-style Thanksgiving feast. No beef or pork will be used in the preparation of the meals.

All students and faculty are invited to the feast. The organizations are asking interested students and faculty to RSVP through a link on AUinvolve.

The event is intended to give students a chance to learn more about ISO and SGA. Both organizations will have presentations, which will be followed by a performance by the Indian Student Association.

“The main thing we hope to achieve is to promote diversity," said Kapish Batura, ISO's vice president of programming. "But to expound further upon that, we hope to create a platform for domestic and international students to interact better. A lot of times you see that domestic and international students don’t interact as much as they should under the guise of the Auburn Family. However, they both seem to stay on their own sect of the spectrum. So, this event will help us cater to both sides and bring them closer together to form a more holistic Auburn Family.” 

Batura said that he is also looking forward to being able to talk with students in a relaxed environment and show the student body that ISO and SGA are approachable. 

“International students don’t have a lot of exposure to Thanksgiving, so a lot of domestic students go home during this short break to visit their families and enjoy the holidays,” Batura said. “However, international students are left on campus or in the city because they can’t travel to their home for a week and come back. We’re trying to create a homey environment for them and show them what Thanksgiving is about.”

Jordan Kramer, SGA's executive vice president of outreach, said this event is a great way to further connect the international community on Auburn's campus with the domestic community.

“This year, SGA has made strides to better serve the international-student community and close the gap," Kramer said. "Thanksgiving is naturally a short break, and it’s not long enough for students to go home and get back in time. We want to help make these students feel welcome.”

He added that the presentations would be centered on the differences between each community's holiday season as well as the common threads between them. 

Batura added that he believes SGA can reach out to a broader spectrum of students because it has such a large presence on campus.

“We hope that this joint feast will have both domestic and international students on the same spectrum together to have more of an engaged conversation, while having lunch, and to promote more diversity,” Batura said. 

Share and discuss “SGA and ISO to host joint Thanksgiving feast Tuesday” on social media.