Students avoid rain to rock out at third annual War Damn Coffee Jam

“I really think the event did well, considering that the location got changed last minute from Samford Lawn to the big Red Barn due to the rainy weather," Todd said.

<p>Barista Jake Mcfarland puts the finishing touches on a cup of coffee on Monday, March 19, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Barista Jake Mcfarland puts the finishing touches on a cup of coffee on Monday, March 19, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Rain or shine, the War Damn Coffee Jam continued on in the Red Barn. 

Students and faculty of Auburn University joined together in the Red Barn to drink coffee, grab free food and listen to live music. 

Lead singer Blake Ruby opened up the chilly, wet night with a range of songs from different genres as people flooded into the event. Emily Hearn joined the stage to continue the night with her soft, acoustic music. 

Hearn had her guitar strapped around her while carrying a tambourine and a shaker in her opening song. She performed her own songs as well as popular music throughout the night.

Hearn told the audience that her band consisted of her husband and some of their close friends. Originally, the band was only made up of her and her husband, and they travelled on tour across the country in their Prius, which was packed full with their belongings and equipment.

After each song, Hearn would talk to the audience, telling them about her band members, the meanings behind her songs, stories from her past and even about her parents who were at the event.  

As the night went on, attendees gathered closer to the stage and danced to her music as they grew to like her songs. Many students in the front sang with Hearn as she sang “Delicate,” one of Taylor Swift’s more popular songs in her newest album.

“We both came because we really enjoy coffee houses and live music," said Carolina Williams,  junior in business analytics, who came with her friend. "The event turned out really good, and we enjoyed the music tonight."

Hearn finished up her set and thanked the attendees for coming, wrapping up her band’s first performance in Auburn. 

“I really think the event did well, considering that the location got changed last minute from Samford Lawn to the big Red Barn due to the rainy weather," said Haley Todd, University Program Council's director of special events. "Many people showed up for a great time.” 

Todd said that War Damn Coffee Jam was created three years ago, and it was based on the idea of making an event that encompassed the feelings of the fall season. 

“The War Damn Coffee Jam really has the fall vibe, and I think that, as well as the free food and music, draws people out to this event," Todd said. "I think that if people that know about it came and then told their friends about it, it could really grow in the next couple years.”

Share and discuss “Students avoid rain to rock out at third annual War Damn Coffee Jam” on social media.