Tom Whatley wins third term in Alabama Senate

Tom Whatley campaigning with Kay Ivey at the Auburn University Regional Airport on Monday, Nov. 5, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Senator Tom Whatley has kept his seat in the Alabama Senate after a win against Democrat Nancy Bendinger in the close race for Senate District 24 Tuesday night. 

Whatley ran for his third term in office, while Bendinger began her political career with the Senate race. Bendinger, a real estate agent in the area, focused on healthcare, education and jobs throughout her campaign. 

Whatley received 52.7 percent of the vote, compared to Bendinger's 47.1, according to the incomplete unofficial results. Whatley told The Plainsman he was confident about the results early on, saying he would continue to do the same thing because of the success he experienced. 

He said his time campaigning has gone splendidly. Since September, his campaign has spent nearly $500,000 on his local race — almost $472,000 more than his opponent, Bendinger. Whatley said they are hoping to hit 1,600 doors before election day. 

Like Bendinger, Whatley said he would like to continue working to promote Alabama education through expanding the K-12 program. 

In addition to education, Whatley said he has worked toward improving the state's infrastructure with advancements in transportation. 

"We've got a message to take to the people of Lee County and a proven record from the last eight years, so that's what we've been focusing on," Whatley said. 

Share and discuss “Tom Whatley wins third term in Alabama Senate” on social media.