SGA, UPC kick off holiday season with lighting ceremony

"It’s good to see multiple holidays recognized during this season," said Julia Fink.

<p>Miss Auburn University Lauren Bradford reads "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to children at the Holiday Lighting Ceremony on Dec. 2, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Miss Auburn University Lauren Bradford reads "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to children at the Holiday Lighting Ceremony on Dec. 2, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn students, faculty and community members gathered on Samford Lawn Sunday evening to partake in holiday festivities. Kids ran around the lawn going from the letters to a Santa table to a cookie-decorating table as Christmas songs played over the speakers at the event.

The Student Government Association and University Program Council teamed up to create the Holiday Lighting event, which had the lighting of both a Christmas tree and a menorah. They set up many tables with various activities for the attendees, including letters to military members, a holiday-craft corner, photo booth, cookie-decorating table and a table that had hot cocoa. 

A tuba euphonium ensemble kicked off the night by playing Christmas carols before Patrick Starr, SGA's executive vice president for programs, welcomed the crowd to the event and introduced Lady Cox, assistant vice president for student engagement. 

Cox welcomed the crowd as well and said they were in for a treat and that it was one of her favorite events. She then brought the Auburn Choir to the stage, which sang “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” and “Carol of the Bells.”

As the choir sang the carols, they swayed and danced, which caused the stage and some of the lights to shake. The audience cheered them on as the choir, decked out in Christmas attire, continued to dance. 

The Drake Middle School choir then sang “Frosty the Snowman” and “Deck the Halls,” which was followed by Lauren Bradford, 2019 Miss Auburn University, reading “Twas the Night Before Christmas” to the children in the audience. 

As it came closer to the lightings, the Hillel vice president went to the stage to share a story and information about Hanukkah.  

The AU Singers then joined the stage to sing “White Christmas” and the Auburn University alma mater before the Auburn Choir returned with Gen. Ronald Burgess, who brought Aubie to the stage. 

Gen. Burgess started the countdown before Aubie pulled the lever to light the tree and the menorah. The Auburn Choir sang “Let it Snow” as fake snow flew out from a machine. 

Julia Fink, freshman in business, came to the event to meet up with her friends. 

“My favorite part was honestly the latkes," Fink said. "It’s good to see multiple holidays recognized during this season.” 

Emily Stocks and Rachel Hissam attended the event together to watch their friends who were performing. 

“I love the multi-generation feel here," Stocks said. "it’s not just college students here. It’s such a fun event so far."

Share and discuss “SGA, UPC kick off holiday season with lighting ceremony” on social media.