Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority returns to campus

The Kappa Chi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha poses for a Founders Day Picture.

After a three-year suspension, Auburn’s Kappa Chi chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, a historically black National Pan-Hellenic Council sorority, has returned to campus.

AKA’s return was aided by their graduate chapter, Mu Sigma Omega.

“I can tell you that it was very involved; it took a lot of planning from the graduate council,” said Ada Huntley, president of the Auburn chapter of AKA. “The process took people on campus and off campus really investing their time and energy in making our process a good one.”

Huntley values the experience and roots that this community allows her to build, crediting these community connections as the reason that AKA’s return to campus was so successful.

“I know many other women who are Alpha Kappa Alpha women that have truly inspired me and throughout my life made me want to be an AKA,” Huntley said.

The mission statement for AKA is to be “supreme in service to all mankind,” and Huntley is working hard to ensure that AKA has returned to campus with this theme in mind.

“Every single woman that I’ve come across who has been an AKA was extremely successful and evolved in the community and civic-minded but, most importantly, had a heart for serving her community,” Huntley said.

AKA has already begun to honor its predecessors through service. Soon after the members’ initiation, some of the members volunteered at Lee County Autism Resource Advocacy Center.

To celebrate founder’s day, which is Jan. 15, AKA went to Auburn Early Education Center to tutor children to honor AKA’s tradition of community service.

Service is not the only facet of AKA. The members are making sure to grow their sisterly bonds after a couple of years off campus through projects, chapter meetings, girls’ nights and grabbing lunch together.

“That has been impactful for me because not only are they there for me and my shoulder to cry on, but they are gonna push me when I’m slacking,” Huntley said. “They are gonna call me out, and I appreciate that in a sister because, you know, you don’t want a sister who is gonna lie to you or tells you exactly what you want to hear all of the time when you’re not doing exactly what you should be doing.”

Share and discuss “Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority returns to campus” on social media.