EDITORIAL | Performing Arts Center next great thing for Auburn

<p>via Gogue Center for the Performing Arts</p>

via Gogue Center for the Performing Arts

It’s been said before, “Auburn is a football school.” Some even said this year, “Auburn is a basketball school.” Pretty soon, however, people may say, “Auburn is a performing arts school.”

With the addition of the Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center, the University is opening possibilities to the arts world. The center will be able to seat 1,200 people for a variety of performances. From concerts to plays, the University plans to keep the center’s schedule busy with 27 acts already scheduled in its first season.

But this is not just an exciting moment for the University. The performing arts center is also a means of community outreach. With performances scheduled that are geared toward children, the University is furthering its ties to the city of Auburn. 

Having programming for children is extremely important as there are limited opportunities for children around the state to experience theater and even more limited opportunities to experience professional, traveling theater performances like the Broadway performances the center has scheduled.

This gives many children opportunities they have never gotten before and will allow the University to increasingly foster better relations with the future generations of this state.

The Gogue Performing Arts Center will undoubtedly be a cultural hub for Auburn, hopefully not just attracting members of the Auburn community to come see performances but also Alabamians from around the state. 

Through the performing arts center, the University will help spur a new cultural wave through the region, bringing theater to all ages of Alabamians. 

Only a few other cities in Alabama have places for citizens to see celebrity concerts and Broadway plays. 

But with this performing arts center’s cultural benefit also comes other, less obvious benefits — not just in outreach and performances, but in fostering a greater sense of community. 

This center will allow for Alabamians to share in the upcoming performances, share a taste of the arts together and allow the community to become more connected through this shared sense of cultural experiences. 

The grand opening of the theater will start with a four-day arts festival that will attract students and community members alike, allowing them to connect and have a shared experience, serving only to strengthen the ties between the community, the University and its students.

But the Gogue Performing Arts Center will not merely bring cultural or community benefit to the state, but something more tangible — an economic benefit. 

Attracting people from around the state means that not only will they watch performances in Auburn, but they will spend their money in Auburn. 

Perhaps they will wander downtown to Toomer’s after a matinee, or maybe they will grab some dinner before a concert. 

Whatever it is, those who buy tickets to performances at the center will undoubtedly be bringing their wallets and spending their money at local businesses. 

This performing arts center is an opportunity for Auburn’s local businesses to grow and cater to events and shows held at the center. 

This performing arts center has long been missing from Auburn’s campus; it will bring notoriety to the school and allow for the theater and music departments to grow, as well.

It allows for students to be exposed to performances and shows that they otherwise would not have had access to. 

It provides an opportunity for much larger performances and shows and gives students the added benefit of experiencing professional shows regularly — something they can learn from and allow them to grow in their own talents. 

Spring 2019 Editorial Board

The opinions of The Auburn Plainsman staff are restricted to these pages. 

This editorial is the majority opinion of the Editorial Board and is the official opinion of the newspaper.

The opinions expressed in columns and letters represent the views and opinions of their individual authors. 

These opinions do not necessarily reflect the Auburn University student body, faculty, administration or Board of Trustees. 

The Auburn Plainsman welcomes letters from students, as well as faculty, administrators, alumni and those not affiliated with the University. 

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL | Performing Arts Center next great thing for Auburn” on social media.