Q&A with Kate Dorsten, candidate for 2019 Miss Auburn

Kate Dorsten  poses for a picture on Jan. 31, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.
Kate Dorsten poses for a picture on Jan. 31, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Kate Dorsten, junior in biomedical sciences, is one of five candidates for 2019 Miss Auburn. We sent a questionnaire to each of the candidates. The questions and Dorsten's responses can be seen below. Elections will be held Tuesday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

We gave each of the candidates for Miss Auburn 30 seconds to pitch their case to students. Here's what they said.

Q: What are the characteristics you want to exemplify when representing the University?

A: I strive to exemplify kindness above all when representing Auburn. Kindness is what sets Auburn apart, from someone being friendly when you forget a scantron during finals to someone inviting you to a tailgate with their family on a Saturday. I also strive to demonstrate friendliness and approachability to make anyone visiting Auburn feel welcomed, loved and valued. 

Q: Why do you care about Auburn University as a whole?

A: I care about Auburn University as a whole because many different aspects of campus have shaped me into the person I am today. I wouldn’t have the same Auburn experience without my pre-pharmacy classes in College of Science and Mathematics, the helpful recruiting staff at the Harrison School of Pharmacy, my directors and coaches with the marching band through the College of Liberal Arts, the student recruiter advisor in the Office of Admissions, and many other people that have poured into me on campus. Each of these areas represents a small piece of Auburn and by working with all these different facets, I understand how they all work together to make Auburn the best it can be. 

Q: What are the top priorities in your platform?

A: My top priority in my platform is to encourage students, professors and alumni to learn from each other to become a better version of themselves. The Auburn Family is all about caring for others, so by sharing life experiences and collaborating with each other, we can care from each other. When we work towards becoming better versions of ourselves and care for others, we are more confident which carries us far beyond Auburn and into whatever our next steps of life may be. 

Q: What experiences have had the biggest impact on your Auburn experience?

A: The Auburn University Marching Band Danceline, Student Recruiters, AUDM and Greek life have tremendously impacted my Auburn experience. Each of these organizations showed me different sides of the Auburn Family and different ways to interact with them, as well as instilling qualities that will stay with me long past my years at Auburn. They each demonstrated the importance of hard work, dedication, and compassion in all you do.

Share and discuss “Q&A with Kate Dorsten, candidate for 2019 Miss Auburn” on social media.