Report: Auburn secondary coach Greg Brown leaving for job at Purdue

<p>Assistant Coach Greg Brown high-fives fans during Tiger Walk on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Assistant Coach Greg Brown high-fives fans during Tiger Walk on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn secondary coach Greg Brown is set to be the next corners coach at Purdue, Yahoo Sports's Pete Thamel reported Friday evening.

Brown replaces Derrick Jackson as the Boilermakers' corners coach after Jackson left to become Northern Illinois' defensive coordinator Monday.

Malzahn hired the 39-year coaching veteran Brown in January 2017 from his previous stint at Missouri. At Auburn, Brown helped defensive coordinator Kevin Steele make Auburn's defense No. 20 and No. 6 in defensive efficiency in 2018 and 2017, respectively. 

Brown has coached three Jim Thorpe Award winners in his career, the most by an assistant coach in college football history.

The stop at Purdue marks Brown's fourth job in five years after two years at Auburn, Mizzou in 2016 and Louisville in 2015. Prior to his stint at Louisville, Brown coached at either Colorado or Arizona from 2006 to 2012.

Brown's first job in the industry was at UTEP in 1981. Since then, he's coached for six different NFL teams and eight different college teams, including a stop at Purdue from 1989-90.

In the 2018 Music City Bowl in Nashville, Auburn blasted Purdue 63-14. Tigers quarterback Jarrett Stidham passed for a season-high 373 yards and career-high five touchdowns against Purdue's secondary. The 63 points set an SEC bowl record and were the most points scored on Purdue by an opponent in Boilermakers program history.

Brown's departure marks the third assistant coaching switch for Auburn this offseason. Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey left for the same position at Kansas in December, and Auburn hired Memphis' Kenny Dillingham as the replacement. Last month, running backs coach Tim Horton was moved to an off-the-field role before accepting the same role at Vanderbilt. Auburn great Cadillac Williams filled the vacancy.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Report: Auburn secondary coach Greg Brown leaving for job at Purdue” on social media.