Poarch Band of Creek Indians ups donation for tornado victims' funerals to $184,000

Tornado damage along Lee Road 38 on Wednesday, March 6, 2018, in Beauregard, Ala.

The Poarch Band of Creek Indians will donate more than $180,000 to the families of victims who died in Sunday's tornado.

The Poarch Creek Indians initially decided to donate $50,000 to help pay for the funerals of the tornado victims, Lee County Coroner Bill Harris said.

When the tribe called back later this week to find out how much would be needed to cover the costs completely, they decided to up their donation to $184,000, Harris said.

"I am so thankful for them to step up in this manner and help the families of this tragedy," Harris said.

The money will be dispersed to funeral homes to cover the costs through the East Alabama Medical Center Foundation.

"It is at times of greatest need that we often see our communities coming together to help one another, this is one of those times," said Stephanie A. Bryan, the tribe's chair and CEO. "Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected.”

The EF4 tornado that struck the Beauregard area and other parts of Lee County Sunday, March 3, killed 23 people and left dozens injured. Four remain hospitalized in ICUs at medical centers in Alabama and Georgia.

Gov. Kay Ivey toured the damage Wednesday, Sen. Doug Jones toured the damage Thursday and President Donald Trump is expected to be in Alabama to visit the area on Friday.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Poarch Band of Creek Indians ups donation for tornado victims' funerals to $184,000” on social media.