Decreased rain levels lead to drop in crops

<p>Colorful medicinal plants at the garden were arranged in diverse clusters.&nbsp;</p>

Colorful medicinal plants at the garden were arranged in diverse clusters. 

Farmers are stressed, and so are their plants. That’s because 47% of Alabama land is experiencing an abnormally dry season, and that’s affecting the plants. Rainfall has been sparse in the past weeks, and drought-like conditions continue to worsen, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. 

The National Integrated Drought Information System has assessed Lee County as being in the midst of an abnormally dry season. 

This dry season caused the Auburn Water Works Board to enact a drought watch on Friday, Sept. 20, as the water level of many creeks and ponds begins to fall. 

“The board has an ample supply of water at this time; however, the board asks customers to be responsible stewards of the City’s natural resources and participate in voluntary conservation measures to control excessive water use and eliminate the need for mandatory restrictions,” the Auburn Water Works Board said in a press release.

The impact this lack of rainfall has had on agriculture has caused pastures, soybeans, grasses and hay fields to dry up. Paired with the high temperatures, the abnormally dry conditions has pushed back a lot of cool-season planting and has reduced field activity. 

Audrey Gamble, an assistant professor and extension specialist at Auburn University, researches soil fertility and soil conservation. She works with farmers and transfers the information gleaned from her research to agriculturalists to help them improve their economic and environmental sustainability. 

“When it’s dry, soils are very hard, which makes for an inability for roots to grow and makes it difficult for the plants to take up those nutrients,” Gamble said. “For a lot of our crops, the drought is certainly going to affect the overall yield.”

Gamble works primarily with row crops in Alabama like cotton, corn, soybean, peanut and wheat. 

Row crops are those who have to be planted in larger acreages. They have to be managed differently since they are not on the same economy of scale compared to other vegetables such as peppers, tomatoes or eggplants.

“Any practices that farmers can do to improve their soils can improve soil moisture,” Gamble said. 

Gamble recommended planting cover crops, which are planted in the off-season to help retain soil moisture. Once those are dug from the field, they leave behind a mat of residue that helps prevent water from evaporating and retains soil moisture that provides insurance against drought. 

“We’re gonna have to wait until there’s some soil moisture to plant cover crops for fall,” Gamble said. “The earlier we get them in, the more growth they can produce; the more residue they produce, then the better they are at providing that mat to keep that soil moisture.”

Nancy Adams, a grower of her own produce for her family, struggled with the effects of this dry season. 

“I had to pull a couple plants of my broccoli and cabbage because we just haven’t received any rain,” Adams said.

Some Alabama counties are already rated as being in a severe drought, while other counties are rated at a moderate drought. 

In times of drought, the ground begins to crack, burn bans begin, the majority of crops are damaged and lakes and agricultural streams dry up. 

According to the National Integrated Drought Information System, 579,000 Alabama residents are in areas with drought and 1.8 million more are in abnormally dry areas. 

The National Weather Service projects above-normal temperatures and low precipitation levels throughout the next three weeks. 

A fire danger advisory warning has been issued for all 67 counties, but no burn bans have been issued from the National Forestry Commission.

Share and discuss “Decreased rain levels lead to drop in crops” on social media.