Mayor Anders discusses his first year, future of Auburn at inaugural address

Mayor Ron Anders gives the State of the City Address on Oct. 28, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Mayor Ron Anders said in the darkness of tragedy, the Auburn community has come together to light the path toward a bright future.

Standing in the recently completed Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center, Anders spoke of growth, tragedy, progress and change during the inaugural State of the City address Monday evening.

“I’m standing before you in an amazing arts and entertainment facility that wasn’t even here a year ago,” Anders said. “The Gogue Performing Arts Center represents the reward that can come with Auburn’s growth and change.” 

In the late '90s, a group of over 200 Auburn residents worked together to determine what they believed the future of Auburn would be, and created a 161-page plan for the City's growth, according to Anders.

By 2020, Anders said Auburn will have reached almost all of its 22 goals regarding public safety, public transportation, economic development, education, utilities and technology.  

Anders said as the City approaches 2040, it will be celebrating 200 years of growth, development and community.

Some of the plans the City hopes to accomplish by 2040 include the construction of an “outer loop road,” Anders said. He said this will provide more ways to travel through Auburn and alleviate traffic. 

Anders also discussed the relocation of the Environmental Services and Public Works departments to allow room for more growth and to free up space for an expanded Boykin Community Center. 

Anders said the Boykin Community Center has become a true hub of the City’s community service efforts, and the expanded campus will include a black history museum and a new branch of the Auburn Public Library.

The City has plans to invest another $1.5 million in the center to finance a new technology resource center, among other updates, he said. 

Communication and transparency were components of Anders' mayoral campaign platform. 

“In my first year as mayor we have hit the ground running to listen and provide the transparency that you asked for,” he said. “This Council has made that already transparent process even more with live-streamed and live-captioned Council meetings on YouTube, Facebook, auburnalabama.org and on the radio.”

Anders also started a weekly video series titled “Mayor’s Minutes.” In each short video, the mayor summarizes the details and results of Council meetings and other City workings. 

In an effort to further increase open communication, the City is also developing a mobile app.

“The new Auburn Fix-It app will allow you to request City services and report non-emergency concerns directly from your phone or other electronic device(s),” Anders said. 

Anders said the app will be available in the Apple and Android app store within the next few weeks. 

Residents will still be able to call City offices to request services and report concerns, and the City's phone numbers will remain listed on its website. 

“As with Auburn 2020, it will take hundreds of residents to help us form this vision of our community in Auburn 2040,” Anders said.

He said he looks forward to working with Council, staff and as much of the community as possible.

Anders created the Mayor’s Lamplighter Award to recognize citizens who represent the spirit of Auburn, bring the community together and light the way for their City. 

The Mayor recognized Alvin Willis, Cynthia Boyd, Donna Young, Eron Smith and Renee Waldrop. Anders also awarded George Echols, who passed away last month. 

Anders described these citizens as “residents who go above and beyond in serving their community, who represent the Auburn community in a way that make us all proud, who help bring us all together.”

Moving forward, the Auburn community will continue to shine for each other and promote change and growth for the whole City, he said.

“The Auburn spirit, the Loveliest Village isn’t found in Toomer’s Corner or by the size of our population or corporate limits, but within us,” Anders said.

Share and discuss “Mayor Anders discusses his first year, future of Auburn at inaugural address” on social media.