Auburn basketball assistant Marquis Daniels involved in automobile accident

<p>Auburn assistant coach Marquis Daniels visits Beauregard Elementary School on Monday, March 11, 2019, in Beauregard, Alabama. Photo via Cody Voga, Auburn Athletics.&nbsp;</p>

Auburn assistant coach Marquis Daniels visits Beauregard Elementary School on Monday, March 11, 2019, in Beauregard, Alabama. Photo via Cody Voga, Auburn Athletics. 

Auburn basketball assistant coach Marquis Daniels was involved in an automobile accident Saturday night. The accident took place in Auburn, and Daniels was moved to Birmingham soon after to be treated, according to Auburn Athletics.

On Monday night, Bruce Pearl said that the assistant coach's surgery was successful.

“I spoke with Marquis yesterday. His surgery was successful today, and I’m going up to visit him tomorrow," Pearl said. "So he’s on the road to recovery.”

On Wednesday, Daniels tweeted a photo of his wrecked vehicle. In the photo, the front end shows extensive damage.

Further details about the accident or the extent of his injuries have not been disclosed by Auburn University.

Daniels was a two-time All-SEC selection at Auburn during his college career on the Plains. He graduated with a degree in sociology.

Daniels played for Auburn from 1999-2003 and led the Tigers to a Sweet 16 berth. 

Daniels played 111 games, averaging 13.8 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 1.9 steals in 28.7 minutes per game.

He began his NBA career with the Dallas Mavericks as an undrafted rookie before going to the Indiana Pacers. 

In July 2004, Daniels re-joined the Mavericks for the 2004 NBA Summer League and later signed a six-year contract.

Daniels also played for the Boston Celtics from 2009 to 2012.

He joined the Milwaukee Bucks in 2012 and played there for a year.

After his NBA retirement, Daniels decided he wanted to be a coach and went to Bruce Pearl for advice. Pearl ended up asking him to be his graduate assistant in the summer of 2018, which he accepted. He was then promoted to director of player development before the 2019 season.

Daniels met his wife Shana Askew, a former Auburn women’s basketball player, during his playing career at Auburn. They married in 2005 and have two children.

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn basketball assistant Marquis Daniels involved in automobile accident ” on social media.