Trustees approves housing rate increase

<p>Village dorm buildings on Auburn University’s campus.</p>

Village dorm buildings on Auburn University’s campus.

Auburn University’s Board of Trustees approved a resolution that will increase semester rental rates in residence halls on Auburn’s main campus.

Kelli Shomaker, chief financial officer for the University, said the increases averaged $92 per bed per semester. With the approved changes, the average cost per semester is $4,687.

Shomaker said the change amounts to a 2% increase in cost to students.

“The increase in rental rate revenue will ensure Auburn University Housing’s commitment to sound fiscal management,” Shomaker said. “As Auburn continues to plan for the future of campus housing, rental rates will play an essential role in ensuring financial self-sustainability.”

Shomaker said the housing rate increase will generate an additional annual revenue of $741,000 and be allocated for new developments, renovation to existing housing facilities as well as preventative and planned maintenance needs.

For Cambridge Hall, there will be a $90 increase on one-person dorms and a $70 increase on two-person dorms per semester, resulting in a semesterly cost of $4,540 and $3,690, respectively.

For the Hill, there will be a $80 increase on one-person dorms and a $60 increase on two-person dorms per semester, resulting in a semesterly cost of $3,910 and $3,120, respectively.

For the Quad, there will be a $90 increase on one-person dorms and a $70 increase on two-person dorms per semester, resulting in a semesterly cost of $4,530 and $3,690, respectively.

For South Donahue Hall, there will be a $120 increase on one-person, two-person and four-person dorms per semester, resulting in a semesterly cost of $6,040, $5,930 and $5,930 respectively.

For the Village, there will be a $100 increase on one-person and two-person dorms and a $90 increase on three-person and four-person dorms per semester, resulting in a semesterly cost of $5,000 and $4,780, respectively.

Shomaker said Auburn’s student housing rate increased 2% last year and did not increase the year before.

Trice Brown | Campus Editor

Trice Brown, sophomore in english language arts education, is the campus editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@trice_tm

campus@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Trustees approves housing rate increase” on social media.