Jordan Bailey, junior in industrial and systems engineering, said he’s running for SGA president because he thinks most students don’t know enough about what’s happening in SGA.
“The top 5% of students that are all super involved and know everything, I mean, it’s perfect,” he said. “They get everything they are looking for. But then the other 95% of students that may not necessarily be involved but still want to know what’s changing on campus, they’ve kind of been left out.”
During his time as a senator, Bailey said he saw organizations struggle with certain issues that SGA has had solutions to for years.
“My passion is just like having everyone get to at least the same level a little bit, so it’s not just people being left behind anymore,” he said.”
One way Bailey wants to connect students to SGA is by creating a texting service that updates students on what’s changing around campus.
“If you asked most Auburn students, I don’t think any of them can name their senator or School’s Council or anything,” he said. “I’m voting on decisions that affect your day-to-day life, but you don’t know I exist, and that scares me a lot.”
Bailey said he took a year off of student government this past year to get outside of the “bubble” of SGA. He wondered if he would be able to find information if he wasn’t getting it from SGA meetings.
Sign up for our newsletter
Get The Plainsman straight to your inbox.
“I realized that it was actually really difficult because a lot of things are changing,” he said.
Bailey said he would hear from friends who would ask if he heard about things happening in SGA since leaving as a senator, and he hadn’t. He said he realized most students don’t get it either.
“Is it their job to go and find it or is it our job to make it easy enough to tell them where it is?” he said.
Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.Support The Plainsman