Auburn run-ruled by No. 16 Arizona State 13-0

Justus Perry (18) during the Auburn Softball vs. Alabama State on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn (8-4) was run-ruled by No. 16 Arizona State (10-2) by a score of 13-0 at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic. 

In Auburn’s first Top-25 matchup of the season, ASU’s bats were on fire. The first inning left both teams scoreless. The Tigers started off on in the box and left the bottom after two grounding outs and one swinging. The Sun Devils took a quicker start with a fast double down but ultimately left the first after a strikeout and two infield outs. 

Senior Ashlee Swindle continued pitching for the Tigers, but ASU started to pick up the pace in the second inning scoring two runs on one homer. The Sun Devils started with the walk followed by a home run from junior infielder Denae Chatman who pulled senior Allison Tatnall in with her. 

Following the homer, the Sun Devils were able to advance to second and third base but found the Tiger defense to be on their toes grabbing a final out at home base to end the inning 2-0 in favor of ASU. 

ASU’s bats could not be stopped as it came out swinging with a single. This was followed by a double and a walk to load the bases. This caused Auburn to make a pitching change to redshirt junior Lexie Handley.

Freshman utility player Jazmine Hill singled for ASU and advanced on the throw to pull two runners in to increase the score 4-0. Another walk and a passed ball pulled in a fifth runner for the Sun Devils to push their lead. Chatman returned with a single to the catcher for the final run of the inning. ASU ended the third inning with a 6-0 lead. 

Auburn couldn’t make anything happen in the fourth inning other than a walk, which was eventually thrown out to continue leaving the Tigers scoreless. ASU’s momentum continued as it picked up a single and a double to score on the throw followed by a steal to score again on an error. 

This caused another pitching change for Auburn to sophomore Samantha Yarbrough, but it still didn’t help the Tigers after ASU was walked, singled and scored its eighth run of the game. It continued with a pitch hit, a walk and a single for two more runs. The Sun Devils faced a strikeout, but it was made up by another single to push the lead 13-0. 

As the final inning came around the Tigers couldn’t make anything of their last chance and ended on a three-up, three-down to seal their fate. 

Auburn will continue in the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic, facing Northwestern on Friday at noon C.T. 

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn run-ruled by No. 16 Arizona State 13-0 ” on social media.