Auburn supports Opelika's stance against possible quarry

<p>Residents have placed signs around Opelika that state their opposition to a quarry being built near the city.&nbsp;</p>

Residents have placed signs around Opelika that state their opposition to a quarry being built near the city. 

The City of Auburn has taken a stand with the City of Opelika against the construction of a proposed granite quarry for Creekwood Resources.

The Auburn City Council unanimously passed a resolution supporting the City of Opelika’s opposition to the quarry at their meeting Tuesday night. 

Many environmental concerns have been raised about the quarry’s construction and operation, such as potential air pollution and contamination to the nearby Saugahatchee Lake because of debris from crushed granite.

The resolution says there are concerns that the quarry will damage Saugahatchee Lake, Opelika’s primary source of water, negatively affecting the quantity and quality of water available to residents. Saugahatchee Lake is also a source of water for some Auburn residents. 

Ward 2 Council Member Kelley Griswold called to amend the resolution to state the citizens of Auburn, not just the City Council, support Opelika’s efforts.

“Thinking more about it, I think it would carry more weight if we mentioned that the citizens of Auburn want this as well,” Griswold said. “Not only do we support Opelika, but it is of concern to the citizens of Auburn, particularly those in North Auburn that draw some of their water from the City of Opelika.”

Creekwood Resources intends to establish the quarry south of Lee County Road 168. The proposed site is adjacent to local non-profit Storybook Farm, which owner Dena Little has previously said she feels the farm will be forced to close if construction begins.

The Lee County Commission called for the Alabama Department of Environmental Management to hold a public hearing about the quarry last week. In addition, many residents in Opelika, Auburn and the Lee County area have voiced their opposition to the quarry at city council meetings, town halls and letters published in The Plainsman and other news sources. 

The Alabama Department of Environmental Management announced Tuesday morning that a public hearing will take place on the matter, but the time and place are still undecided.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn supports Opelika's stance against possible quarry” on social media.