Auburn walks off Georgia Southern, loses close to No. 18 Minnesota

<p>Jaylin Calvert (24) prepares to swing at the ball during the Auburn vs. Georgia Southern game on Feb. 28, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jaylin Calvert (24) prepares to swing at the ball during the Auburn vs. Georgia Southern game on Feb. 28, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn struggled last week in the Mary Nutter Classic in California losing four of its five games. On Friday night that trend changed as it dropped one of two games to start the Tiger Invitational.

Auburn came back to beat Georgia Southern 5-4 before losing a close game to No. 19 Minnesota 5-4 in the second game of the doubleheader.

“We’re really starting to work together really well as a team,” said Auburn junior Makenna Dowell. 

GAME 1

Auburn struggled at the plate in this game. Georgia Southern’s Aaliyah Garcia had a stellar game from the circle as she only let up eight hits on the day. 

The top of Tigers lineup were the only ones who could get hits. 

“As long as we battle we are gonna win some games. We just have to battle,” said Auburn head coach Mickey Dean.

Dowell had a fantastic game at the plate going 4-for-4. Dowell had half of the Tigers' total hits and an RBI. This was a career game for Dowell at the plate. Her defensive play was not as stellar, however, as Dowell gave up both errors committed by Auburn. 

Senior Alyssa Rivera had a good game on the plate going 4--for-5. Rivera hit a big home run to send the game into extras, and later walked it off for the Auburn win. 

“Absolutely. It was either going straight up in the air or over the fence,” Rivera said.  

Rivera finished the day two RBIs and two runs scored. 

“It was real exciting. Real nerve-racking the second time I came up to win the game,” Rivera said. 

Senior Ashlee Swindle started in the circle for Auburn and struggled for five innings. Swindle gave up nine hits, two earned runs and walked three. Although Swindle gave up hits, she stranded eight runners on base. 

“It’s amazing how they weren’t able to make [Swindle] pay for her mistakes,” Dean said. 

Sophomore Samantha Yarbrough stepped into the circle in the fifth inning to replace Swindle. Yarbrough had a stellar game as she gave up one hit through four innings of play. 

“She’s getting her confidence, and we're excited about that,” Dean said.  

Yarbrough picked up the win and moved to 3-0 on the season. 

GAME 2

Auburn as a team struggled to get hits in this game but the Tigers walked four times in the game. 

“We battled and fought this game. I’m really proud of everybody,” Dowell said. 

Freshman Carlee McCondichie had the best game offensively for the Tigers, going 2-for-2 and being an instant spark plug once she was put into the lineup. McCondichie came into the game, gave the Tigers an RBI and scored a run.

Rivera had another great game by getting on base and scoring runs. She didn’t register a hit but she walked twice. She scored both times she was walked. She made solid defensive plays including a catch where she ran into the Minnesota bullpen. 

The Tigers will look to bounce back Saturday when they face Minnesota again, as well as  Binghamton in another doubleheader. 

Share and discuss “Auburn walks off Georgia Southern, loses close to No. 18 Minnesota” on social media.