Auburn's Alison Maillard wins gold at SEC championships

"It's four years of hard work and knowing that she always had the ability to dive at that level and to see her finally put it all together was very rewarding.”

<p>Alison Maillard wins gold for 1-meter diving Tuesday.</p>

Alison Maillard wins gold for 1-meter diving Tuesday.

Auburn is hosting the SEC Swim and Dive championships this year, and it did not take long for a Tiger to claim an individual championship. 

In the first event of the five-day competition, Alison Maillard won first place for the 1-meter diving event. With Maillard’s gold medal, Auburn clinched a 29th consecutive year with an SEC swim and dive champion. 

Maillard advanced through prelims early Tuesday with a score of 295.10 points but in the finals she scored 364.15 points over the course of her six dives. 

Maillard’s 364.15 points was not only a personal best for the senior diver but she also beat the Auburn record by 30 points. 

“I'm ecstatic for her," head diving coach Jeff Shaffer said. "It's four years of hard work and knowing that she always had the ability to dive at that level and to see her finally put it all together was very rewarding.”

In Maillard’s record-breaking performance, she was able to score at least 51.75 points in all six dives. The highlight of her performance, however, was her fifth dive when she scored 70.15 points. The reverse two-and-a-half somersault tuck separated her from the rest of the divers in Auburn for the championship. 

Maillard will continue to compete throughout the week as the SEC Swim and Dive Championships will be in James E. Martin Aquatics Center through Saturday. 

Feb 18, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; Alison Maillard on the podium during the 2020 SEC Swimming and Diving Championships finals at James E. Martin Aquatics Center. 

Share and discuss “Auburn's Alison Maillard wins gold at SEC championships” on social media.