COLUMN: New SGA president is shattering glass ceilings

<p>Ada Ruth Huntley was elected SGA president during callouts on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020.&nbsp;</p>

Ada Ruth Huntley was elected SGA president during callouts on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2020. 

There are 30,420 students on this campus. Only 903 of them are black women. And one of them just became SGA president.

This moment will always be bigger than the Student Government Association. This moment will always include, but be bigger than, Ada Ruth Huntley. This moment sparks a shift in the trajectory of this institution.

When they find a noose in a residence hall, and a white supremacist comes on this campus to spew hate, this moment could not come at a more critical time.

This moment serves as a reminder to young black women and other people who sometimes feel left out on such a predominantly white campus that they are not only a part of the Auburn family but deserve every right to make the changes they want to see on the campus they call home.

This moment opens the door for all people of all backgrounds to not only see themselves in positions of influence but work to get themselves there.

This moment proves that authenticity and dedication will always win.

This moment is far from being about getting cisgender white men out of administrative roles.    This moment is nowhere near about taking things from people who sit in a position of privilege.

This moment is not about taking seats away from the table; it’s about making sure that the table is equitable, inclusive and reflective of the community it’s designed to feed.

On Monday, Harold A. Franklin, the first African American to ever step foot as a student on this campus, came back to speak on his experiences and give encouragement to students still fighting for a seat at the table. He reminded us that he fought so that our fight could be easier.

On Tuesday, Ada Ruth Huntley won a fight. Not to be the first and only, but to make way for there to be a second and another.

This may feel like a moment, but it is so much more. It is the moment that students on this campus wanted, needed and helped to make happen.

This is the moment that the glass ceiling crumbles.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: New SGA president is shattering glass ceilings” on social media.