Devan and the Doctor: How Auburn's freshmen helped the Tigers topple Tennessee

"He's putting in his time, he's handling the fact that he's not playing like a pro, very, very unselfish...You have to stay right and ready for when your number is called.”

Jaylin Williams (2) during the Auburn Men's Basketball vs. Tennessee game on Saturday, Feb. 22, in Auburn, Ala.

For Jaylin Williams and Devan Cambridge, their classroom success last week was a sign for head coach Bruce Pearl that the two might start seeing more strides on the court as well. In Auburn’s 73-66 win over Tennessee Saturday, the two freshmen combined for 17 of Auburn’s 26 bench points and helped propel the Tigers' second-half comeback.

The 26 bench points for Auburn were the most the Tigers have scored this month.

Williams, the freshman forward and former 4-star recruit, scored a season-high eight points on 4-of-7 shooting from the field against the Volunteers. Not only did he have a season-high in points, but also in assists, with two, and three steals. 

Williams' 15 minutes off the bench were the second most minutes he has played this season behind Georgia where he logged 16 minutes. The Georgia native may just be a freshman but Pearl thinks his freshman forward has been handling his lack of playing time with grace and maturity. 

“I'm happy for Jaylin. It's a coach’s job to put players in positions to be successful,” Pearl said. “We didn't think earlier in the season that Jaylin was ready. But you can see a couple of things. I'm thrilled with how the bench reacts, because while Jaylin wasn't playing he's working in practice, he's putting in his time, he's handling the fact that he's not playing like a pro, very, very unselfish. His family is staying patient. You have to stay right and ready for when your number is called.” 

Not only did Williams show off on the court against Tennessee with some highlight reel dunks, including a self-alley-oop, but according to Pearl he has been showing off in the classroom as well, earning himself a new nickname.   

“He got a 95 on a biology - I'm not sure what it was, I don't think it was a test, but it was a pretty important project, Pearl said. “I'm calling him Dr. Williams now because he wants to be a doctor. He's had a big week.”

For Cambridge, he has been steadily carving out a role as the Tigers' sharpshooter off the bench. In Saturday's matchup against Tennessee, he showcased that 3-point shooting ability by going 3-of-5 from beyond the arc, including one from the corner that capped an 18-0 run that gave Auburn the lead in the second half. He finished the game with nine points and six rebounds in 25 minutes.

The six rebounds by Cambridge were a season-high and the 25 minutes played are the third most for him this season behind games against Alabama and LSU.

Just like “Dr. Williams”, some of Cambridge’s success on Saturday can be credited to his work in the classroom according to Pearl. 

“I'm very proud of Devan,” Pearl said. “Devan has really been coachable. Like all of the younger kids, they've got to get tougher, they've got to get a little meaner. That's the challenge. But Devan's not afraid, and he's got great confidence. And he works. He's in the gym and he's doing the right things. He had a good week academically, too. I'm telling you, it all kind of works together.”

The Tigers have a few days off before hosting Ole Miss on Tuesday.

Share and discuss “Devan and the Doctor: How Auburn's freshmen helped the Tigers topple Tennessee ” on social media.