How to register to vote in Auburn

With just over two weeks until Super Tuesday on March 3, Alabama residents are gearing up for the presidential primary. With that comes voter registration. 

Any Alabama resident who is a citizen of the U.S., is at least 18 years old on or before election day, does not have a felony conviction that prevents them from voting and has not been declared mentally incompetent by a court is eligible to vote. 

There are several ways to register to vote in Alabama. All voter registrations must be received on or by Feb. 17, which is 14 days before the primary election, in order to be eligible to vote in the primary. 

Residents can register online at alabamavotes.gov by clicking “Voter Registration” halfway down the page. There are printable versions of the voter registration application that residents can print and mail to a local Board of Registrar’s Office. 

Residents can request that a paper version of the voter registration application be mailed to them so it can be filled out and mailed back to the Registrar’s Office. All mailed voter registrations must be postmarked by Feb. 15 in order to be registered in time to vote in the March primary, according to the Alabama Secretary of State’s website. 

Other ways to register to vote include through the Vote for Alabama app, when applying for an Alabama driver’s license or non-driver identification card and when applying for or recertifying aid for children such as SNAP and WIC and several other locations. 

Residents of Lee County can visit the Board of Registrar’s Office at the Bennie G. Adkins Meeting Center at 205 S. 10th St. in Opelika, Alabama. 

For residents who are unsure of their voter registration status, visit myinfo.alabamavotes.gov. There, voters can enter their information under “registration information” to check their voter registration status. 

On the same webpage, voters can find their polling place for the upcoming election. 

Polling stations in Auburn include the Farmville Volunteer Fire Department, the Boykin Center gym, the Frank Brown Recreation Center, the Dean Road Recreation Center and the Clarion Inn.

As of June 2014, voters in Alabama are required to have a specific photo ID in order to vote on election day. Accepted forms of valid photo ID include a driver’s license, non-driver ID, photo voter ID, state issued ID, federal issued ID, U.S. Passport, employee ID from a government entity including the federal, state, county or municipality, student or employee ID from a college in Alabama including postgraduate technical and professional schools, military ID or Tribal ID, according to the Alabama Secretary of State’s website. 

Polls will be open on March 3, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Alabama is one of 14 states hosting the presidential primary election on March 3. 

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “How to register to vote in Auburn” on social media.