Seniors gather for Valentine Ball

<p>A couple enters the Boykin Community Center during the Senior Citizen Valentine Ball that was held on Feb. 15, 2020.</p>

A couple enters the Boykin Community Center during the Senior Citizen Valentine Ball that was held on Feb. 15, 2020.

The Boykin Community Center was filled with red dresses, heart balloons and dancers Saturday night as the Senior Citizen Valentine Ball took place. 

The Senior Citizen Valentine Ball, held from 4-8 p.m. Saturday night, was organized by the Northwest Auburn Task Force and spearheaded by Sheryl Parker and Council member Connie Fitch Taylor as a way to gather seniors together and build community.

Seniors danced along to the music, and at the end of the ball awards were given out such as best dancer, best dressed and the oldest senior in the room even won a prize. Throughout the ball, Taylor announced the winners of various contests and raffles.

Parker spoke about why she finds it important to organize events like this. 

“Ever since the Task Force has been in existence, we try to do these programs,” Parker said. “Now we are expanding and doing this Valentine's ball for seniors. I mean, what other chances do seniors in the community get to dress up, to come out and have a good time? And it doesn't cost any money.” 

Parker also talked about the long-term goals of the Northwest Auburn Task Force, which aims to create positive change in the area.

“We want to see a community the way it was years ago ... before it started changing so rapidly," Parker said. "[Seniors] are the people with the most impact, so a chance for them to come together is rare, and we want to provide that chance, and over the summer we hope to organize more of these events.” 

The women who organized the event also teamed up with Opelika Council member Tiffany Gibson-Pitts. 

“Firstly, I want to thank Councilwoman Taylor for including me in this effort,” Gibson-Pitts said. “I think that our seniors are very important to our community. Sometimes you’re overlooked, and I apologize for that." 

Gibson-Pitts said while the ball was important for the community, it was also a chance for the seniors to have a good time.

"We just wanted to make sure we could plan something where we could celebrate you because you guys like to have fun as well," Gibson-Pitts said.

At the entrance of the ball were four high schoolers who were selected by Taylor to serve as escorts for the night, aiding the female patrons as they entered. 

The patrons of the ball were also served a meal, and volunteers lined the wall, ready to help at a moment's notice. 

Kaleigh Yancey, a junior in high school who volunteered at the event, talked about why she thinks it's important for the community to hold these types of events as a way to "lift [seniors'] spirits."

Yancey said she has volunteered at multiple events similar to the Senior Citizen Valentine Ball and stated that they are not only extremely important for the community, but also a lot of fun, and she hopes that there are more in the future.

Share and discuss “Seniors gather for Valentine Ball” on social media.