NCAA grants spring-sport athletes extra year of eligibility

Tigers stand at attention during the national anthem in Auburn Baseball vs. Alabama A&M on Feb. 26, 2020 in Auburn, AL

The NCAA announced Monday afternoon that it will grant spring-sport athletes an extra year of eligibility. That includes sports such as a baseball, softball, and outdoor track and field. 

With seasons and championships being canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, each student-athlete will be able to redshirt the 2020 season and compete an extra season. 

The teams will receive an increase for the number of scholarship-athletes they can have on their roster for the upcoming season. This is so they can account for returning seniors as well as the incoming recruits who will be on scholarship. 

It does not mean that athletes returning for their “second” senior season are guaranteed to receive their current scholarships or even aid. It is up to each individual university and student-athletes to decide how much aid will be given.

Winter sports were not included in the decision. The NCAA Council declined to add another year to athletes who had completed most or all of the regular season.  

Share and discuss “NCAA grants spring-sport athletes extra year of eligibility ” on social media.