Nine Auburn women selected for NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships

"I think it's an awesome group to represent Auburn’s swimming and diving," head coach Gary Taylor said. "...It's a really hard-working, dedicated group that has their eyes on the biggest prize that being NCAAs."

Feb 22, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; XXXXX during the 2020 SEC Swimming and Diving Championships finals at James E. Martin Aquatics Center. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

The women’s NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships are now set and Auburn is sending nine of its members to Athens, Georgia, for the competition later this month. 

The group of women includes just three seniors, Robyn Clevenger and Claire and Julie Meynen. The rest of team is compiled of juniors Carly Cummings and Sonnele Oezteurk, sophomore Emily Hetzer and three freshman, AJ Kutsch, Averee Preble and Abbey Webb. 

Six of the nine, Clevenger, Cummings, Fisch, Meynen, Oeztuerk and Hetzer, return back to the NCAA Championships after competing in Austin, Texas, last year. The group earned 16 All-American honors while finishing 12th overall in the finals.

"I think it's an awesome group to represent Auburn’s swimming and diving," Auburn head coach Gary Taylor said. "You've got a lot of elite individuals in there from sprint to middle distance to endurance. It's a really hard-working, dedicated group that has their eyes on the biggest prize that being NCAAs. So I'm really excited about the group that we're taking over there." 

Auburn will send all five relays: 200 Free, 400 Free, 800 Free, 200 Medley and 400 Medley. The 200 and 400 free relays both won the gold medal in Auburn for the SEC Championships while also setting the new Auburn and SEC records. 

The Tigers can send three more competitors to the championships with Alison Maillard, Aslynn Sullivan and Gretchen Wensuc competing in the Zone B Diving Championships. Those championships will be held March 9 through March 11. 

The NCAA Championships open in Athens, Georgia, on Wednesday, March 18 and competition will last until Saturday, March 21. 

Share and discuss “Nine Auburn women selected for NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships” on social media.