Tigers’ front seven prepared to ‘reload’ in 2020

"I feel like we're in a position right now where we don't have to rebuild; we just continue to reload with the guys we got."

K.J. Britt (33) during the Auburn vs. Georgia game on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn’s defense has been nothing but a model of stability the past four seasons, under defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.

The Tigers have managed to recruit and maintain a top-15 defense nationally each season, filling the voids left by the likes of Deshaun Davis, Tre Williams and Dontavious Russell, just to name a few, in years past. 

This next year will be no different. Auburn’s front seven has massive shoes to fill in 2020.

Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson and Nick Coe are all moving on, hoping to play professionally at the next level. 

Brown, who is projected to be a top-10 pick in this month’s upcoming NFL Draft, Davidson and Coe were a part of a defense that held teams under 5.0 yards per play, and under 20 points per game on average last season.

“Trying to replace Derrick Brown is almost irreplaceable,” redshirt junior linebacker Chandler Wooten said during a teleconference Thursday. “But at the same time, we’ve got guys who have been watching and learning, maturing — same thing on the back end."

Returning seniors Big Kat Bryant, Tyrone Truesdell and T.D. Moultry, as well as sophomore Derick Hall, will be the first expected to fill those shoes on the defensive line. 

Wooten mentioned, in particular, that he had been impressed with Hall, who will be sliding into Davidson’s role at the defensive end position. 

Hall played in 11 games as a true freshman last fall totaling 13 tackles, 1.5 tackles-for-loss and two quarterback hurries.

“When you see true freshmen, a lot of them don’t really have that work ethic,” Wooten said. “He came in with an older-guy kind of mindset. He’s just willing to work. He’s one of those guys that’s just willing to work, and comes in with a positive attitude every day, so I’m really excited to see where he goes, building off of last season.” 

Truesdell, who will likely be replacing Brown in the middle of the trenches, ranked inside the top 6 on the team in both tackles-for-loss (5.0) and in total sacks (3.0) last season. Bryant, who will now be Auburn’s most experienced edge rusher off the line, also added 1.5 sacks in 2019.

"I feel like we're in a position right now where we don't have to rebuild; we just continue to reload with the guys we got,” Wooten said. “The coaches do a great job recruiting. We got the kind of guys that we want, so now it's about everybody buying in there. So, whenever we do get back, go out and work, that's all it is."

At the second level, the Tigers are bringing back a talented, veteran linebacker core led by All-SEC first-teamer K.J. Britt. 

Britt, the senior signal caller, Owen Pappoe and Zakoby McClain are all returning along with Wooten. Pappoe and McClain return for sophomore campaigns now with a year under their belts. As freshmen, the pair was relied on heavily out of the gate, having to help replace a linebacker unit that lost three senior starters the year before. 

Britt (68), McClain (55) and Pappoe (49) ranked third, fourth and sixth on the team, respectively, in total tackles last season. 

"We are the most experienced group, but as a linebacker in our defense, you got to set everybody, make the calls, so that's our natural job description anyway,” Wooten said. “Definitely, you know, when we get back, we want to be leaders, but also right now be leaders right now too because you have your leaders off the field as well.”

Share and discuss “Tigers’ front seven prepared to ‘reload’ in 2020” on social media.