EAMC reports 'uptick' in COVID-19 cases following Governor's safer-at-home amendments

EAMC's COVID-19 Census shows cases increasing as the state begins reopening

Following the implementation of Gov. Kay Ivey's amendments to the state's safer-at-home order, East Alabama Medical Center has reported a "3-day uptick" in COVID-19 cases. 

According to data provided by EAMC, this increase in confirmed cases comes after nine straight days of "decreasing hospitalizations for patients who tested positive for COVID-19." 

"This is not reason to panic," said Brooke Bailey, EAMC's infection prevention director, in an email. "But it is a perfect reminder that COVID-19 has to be respected, and we cannot let our guard down."

This increase in cases was, according to EAMC, expected following the reopening of businesses.

"This was expected as people become more mobile and active, making the chances of COVID transmission more likely,"  the email stated. 

While Ivey's safer-at-home order went into effect on May 1, she amended the order on May 8. 

The changes included removing the 10-person limit on non-work gatherings and allowing restaurants to open at 50% occupancy with six-foot spacing between tables. 

Similarly, barber shops, hair and nail salons, gyms, athletic facilities and fitnesses classes were allowed to resume with increased restrictions in place. 

Bailey said that as people begin to navigate these new regulations, they should continue to take safety and hygiene precautions. 

"Just as good hand hygiene and social distancing helped us flatten the curve, it's equally important to do now so that we don't see a significant spike in the days and weeks ahead," she said. 

EAMC officials are encouraging people to wear masks in public and routinely disinfect objects and "high-touch surfaces," such as door handles, computer keyboards and countertops. 

Share and discuss “EAMC reports 'uptick' in COVID-19 cases following Governor's safer-at-home amendments” on social media.