Cam Newton signs one-year deal with the New England Patriots

Cam Newton laughs on the sideline during Auburn Football vs. Georgia on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, in Athens, Ga.

Cam Newton, released by the Carolina Panthers on Tues, March 25th, has signed a one-year deal with the New England Patriots.

Newton was drafted by the Panthers first overall in the 2011 NFL draft following his undefeated, national championship and Heisman winning season with Auburn in 2010. At Auburn, Cam Newton passed for nearly 3,000 yards with 30 touchdowns and ran for another 1,500 yards with 20 touchdowns.

Newton won the starting quarterback job in Carolina ahead of the 2011 season. Newton was named the 2011 Offensive Rookie of the Year. He went on to earn 3 Pro Bowl selections throughout his nine seasons with Carolina and MVP honors in the 2015 season.

The Panthers under Newton’s leadership went to the playoffs four times, including the franchise’s second trip to the Super Bowl all-time when they lost to the Denver Broncos in 2015. He went 3-4 in his seven playoff games. 

In his first eight seasons with the team, Newton missed only five games from injuries but missed 16 of the Panthers’ last 18 games. It ultimately led to their decision to go a different route when they signed Teddy Bridgewater, and then a few days later released Newton.

Newton is now Auburn’s fifth NFL product on the Patriots’ roster. Newton joins another former Auburn quarterback, Jarrett Stidham, in New England to help the Patriots replace Tom Brady.

Share and discuss “Cam Newton signs one-year deal with the New England Patriots” on social media.