Face masks required in University facilities starting today

<p>The COVID-19 outbreak has seen many University operations altered in response.</p>

The COVID-19 outbreak has seen many University operations altered in response.

Students, employees and visitors to campus are required to wear face masks when entering facilities on University property starting today, Auburn announced on Thursday, June 18. This policy applies to all buildings and includes classrooms and laboratories, according to the University.

"Wearing face coverings greatly reduces the chances of COVID-19 transmission, protecting those around us," the University said. "By taking individual responsibility for the health of the entire campus, we are working together toward a safe and uninterrupted fall semester."

Those alone in a private office or with a roommate in a residence hall room will not need face coverings, according to the University. However, Auburn emphasized that the new policy also means any University event will require participants to wear face coverings, even if taking place in a non-University facility.

"The policy aligns with guidance from public health officials and input from campus governance groups and is subject to reevaluation based on the most current recommendations," the University said.

The policy comes a week before face-to-face instruction is set to resume for the second summer mini-semester on June 29.

University Risk Management and Safety has provided a resources page on cloth face masks with the introduction of the policy. The University said it will reveal additional details on this new requirement in the near future.

Tim Nail | Campus Editor

Tim Nail, junior in journalism, is the campus editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

@timmnail

timnail@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Face masks required in University facilities starting today” on social media.