On-campus classes to resume this summer

<p>The Haley Concourse on March, 23, 2020, in Auburn. Ala.</p>

The Haley Concourse on March, 23, 2020, in Auburn. Ala.

On-campus classes will be available for the second summer mini-term, according to an email from University president Jay Gogue. 

The mini-term, which begins on June 29, will offer four methods of instruction: fully online, face-to-face, blended and Hyflex.

The fully online and face-to-face methods have been traditionally offered during the summer at Auburn, but the blended and Hyflex instruction models are new for the University. 

According to the Office of Communications and Marketing, blended courses will include both face-to-face instruction and remote learning. 

Hyflex, an abbreviation for Hybrid-Flexible, is a relatively new model of instruction that has become a popular option for institutions looking to reopen this summer and fall. 

"Hyflex courses provide a structure that gives students the flexibility of attending sessions in the classroom, participating online or doing both through synchronous delivery," OCM said. 

This announcement to reinstitute some face-to-face instruction comes days after the state recorded its single greatest increase in daily cases. On Monday, May 25, Alabama saw an increase of 639 COVID-19 cases, a definitive spike in the daily growth of the virus.

As the University prepares to reopen in June, OCM said they are preparing to "implement physical distancing guidelines across campus."

Also included in Gogue's message is the announcement that the Auburn bookstore will reopen its brick-and-mortar location in the Haley Center on June 15. Other campus buildings will be opened on June 29, per the announcement. 

"Following the Governor's guidelines, Auburn is preparing to start re-opening our campus to students slowly," said Provost Bill Hardgrave.

According to OCM, a number of protocols which have been developed for students returning in the fall will be implemented this summer. 

"The University will employ a mobile COVID-19 health check for all students and faculty, and safe social distancing will be followed in classrooms," OCM said. 

All faculty are also being asked to create a "syllabus B" for their classes which will cover the procedures and expectations required should the University transition to all remote learning as they did in the spring. 

Share and discuss “On-campus classes to resume this summer” on social media.