RA training to be shorter and online this year

<p>Village dorm buildings on Auburn University’s campus.</p>

Village dorm buildings on Auburn University’s campus.

New and returning resident assistants for fall 2020 are now going to be trained remotely and in a much shorter time frame than in previous years because of COVID-19. The new training is scheduled for July 25-30 and will be performed remotely, unlike in past years, where the training has been two weeks long and in person.

“Last year we had two full weeks of training prior to anyone moving in,” said Isaiah Pompo, junior in biomedical science and a returning RA. “We went through various training [sessions] – Safe Zone training, social experiment [training] and basic administrative stuff such as when you’re going to work and who will be on duty when.” 

Now, due to social distancing protocols, training will be reduced to five virtual days. 

“They haven’t given us a guideline as to what the days are going to look like yet,” Pompo said.  “Obviously, it would be better in person — you want to be there with your peers and with your team — but I feel that we’re still going to be able to do a great job.”

Although not everything is certain, Pompo explained that he has confidence in the adaptivity of the new and returning RAs to the situation, despite the drastic changes in the training format. 

“Training helps a ton, but it’s not like you’re going to become the perfect RA through training; you’re going to have to go through the role and learn through experience,” he said. 

Ilya Kristensen, junior in wildlife sciences, pre-vet, is another returning resident assistant.

“Last year, we introduced this new aspect of [training] that was like a retreat,” Kristensen said. “It was super fun. All the RAs went to this little camp and did activities like team building and had a lot of free time for hanging out and it really helped bond us … it was really awesome.” 

Kristensen said the reason why training usually lasts for so long is because it makes the experience less overwhelming. In the past, RAs did their training every week day from about 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for two weeks. 

“Most of the learning I did was on the job,” she said. “The training allowed me to learn skills and apply them [to real life]. I definitely think there will be a lot of responsibility on the old RA’s, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.” 

Kristensen explained that, with the shortening of training, there might be more of a need for the returning RAs to teach the new RAs the ins and outs of the job, and that has potential to bring the new and old RA’s closer together as a team. 

Share and discuss “RA training to be shorter and online this year” on social media.