Campus Rec reopens today with new safety measures

The Auburn Recreation and Wellness Center, voted best gym in Auburn, AL.

Auburn University’s Recreation and Wellness Center is reopening this morning with new policies in place to reduce transmission of COVID-19. Campus Recreation posted its guidelines on Friday for students and members to follow inside the building in light of the reopening.

Members are asked to wear face masks and face coverings while moving about the common areas of the facility in accordance with other University facilities, according to the guidelines. Because increased oxygen intake is normal and necessary for high-intensity exercise, the facility does not suggest face coverings to be worn during such workouts.

“Some masks are suitable for physical activity,” Campus Recreation said. “Members choosing to wear a mask and exercise should ‘listen to their bodies’ and reduce intensity as necessary.”

Hand washing is suggested to be done often and social distancing measures taken as much as possible. Only two people will be allowed in an elevator at one time, and Campus Rec members are asked to take the stairs if possible.

Rec staff will place orange cones beside equipment that needs to be sanitized, and members are asked not to move the cones. Sanitization of machines and areas of the facility will be scheduled on rotation throughout the day.

Amenities closed to members during the initial reopening include the climbing wall, water fountains, day-use lockers and showers, Campus Recreation said.

In addition to social distancing and sanitization, Rec staff will take measures to prevent too many people participating in one group function at a time. Group fitness classes, courts and locker rooms will be allowed a limited number of people, while competitive sports programs will be unavailable at reopening.

The Rec will offer both in-person classes at the facility and live classes through Zoom. Members must register for in-person classes using RWC Connect or the Campus Recreation app to attend, and they are encouraged to do the same for live classes.

“All members can participate in group fitness classes during summer semester,” Campus Recreation said. “No Class Pass is required at this time. [For live classes,] we prefer you register in advance due to limited space.”

The Auburn Outdoors rental center and bike shop will be open Monday to Friday from 2-6 p.m. to one member at a time. No outdoor trips are currently scheduled, but all gear will be available to rent from the center.

“To ensure member safety, gear will be cleaned according to Centers for Disease Control guidelines, along with manufacturer reccomendations,” Campus Recreation said. “In addition to strict cleaning protocols, Auburn Outdoors will implement a four-day waiting period before that same gear may be rented to another member.”

Equipment may not be tried on before rental, according to Campus Recreation. Those planning on visiting Auburn Outdoors are asked to call 334-844-0027 ahead of their arrival.

The Campus Rec itself will be open regularly Monday to Friday from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. The Rec will not be open on Saturdays, and tours will not take place initially.

A complete series of guidelines is available on Campus Recreation’s website.

Those with additional questions on the facility’s reopening are asked to contact Campus Recreation at 334-844-0023 or campusrec@auburn.edu.

Share and discuss “Campus Rec reopens today with new safety measures” on social media.