Report: Harvey Updyke, man who poisoned Toomer's Oaks, dead at 71

Harvey Updyke walking to the Lee County courthouse June 20. (Courtesy of Vasha Hunt, Opelika-Auburn News)

Harvey Updyke has died at the age of 71. Updyke is the Alabama fan who poisoned the oak trees at Toomer's Corner.

AL.com first reported the news.

His son, Bear Updyke, reported the death to AL.com, saying he died of natural causes in his home in Louisiana where he had been residing. 

Updyke gained attention in January of 2011 after his call into The Paul Finebaum Show, where he admitted to poisoning the trees. His action came after Auburn's 2010 Iron Bowl victory.

He later did 70 days of jail time with probation and was ordered to pay $800,000 for the damage he did after pleading guilty in 2013. 

He was called back into court in October of 2019 after having only paid $6,915.50 of the restitution owed to Auburn, according to court records. 

Auburn has since dug up the trees and replaced the soil, planting new trees in their place.

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Report: Harvey Updyke, man who poisoned Toomer's Oaks, dead at 71” on social media.